FurRag forums
August 18, 2017, 04:31:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Theta" eBook version available for free on Amazon today and tomorrow!  (Read 2816 times)
Sasya

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKKAW0Y/

^.^

<3 <3 <3
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »

Good work! Thanks for sharing it with us.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Well, I’m unable to leave a review on Amazon and it’s too late for me to leave one on FurRag’s main site, so I left a review on Goodreads instead. The short version being, I really liked your book. Smiley

Sasya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »

Well, I’m unable to leave a review on Amazon and it’s too late for me to leave one on FurRag’s main site, so I left a review on Goodreads instead. The short version being, I really liked your book. Smiley

Awrf! <3

*Superhappywags*

Thank you very much for reading ... and for the review. ^.^  That you'd take the time for both makes me a very happy fox.  ^.^

As far as the "missing scene breaks" go... was that a formatting issue with the kindle version, or a writing issue...?  Can you give me an example?  (Formatting an eBook is more like web design than book design... so much is "browser dependent")

~Foxy

<3 <3 <3
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »

Ah, never mind, it seems to be an issue of how my reader device interpreted the book’s formatting: it stripped the white space you used to mark scene breaks.

Sasya

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »

Ah, never mind, it seems to be an issue of how my reader device interpreted the book’s formatting: it stripped the white space you used to mark scene breaks.

Brutal!  That would make it -really- uncomfortable to read. :<

Do other stories on the same reader have appropriate scene breaks on that reader...?  eBook design is -really- difficult ... trying to balance presentation and compatibility is a bit frustrating.  My first version had drop caps that looked great on all the digital proofers that I used, but on the actual device were a line below where they were supposed to be .. and there were plenty of other little annoyances.  At least with paperback, it's a fixed medium.  ^.^

(This reminds me of the discussion at sf: http://www.sofurry.com/forum/view/thread?id=28547)

-Fox

<3 <3 <3
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

I’d blame this on the conversion process I had to use, actually. My reader doesn’t support Amazon’s Kindle format, so I had to convert the book to ePub (using Calibre) to read it. Opening the book in the Kindle app (both on PC and on my phone) actually shows your formatting correctly, but for the sake of my eyes I can use neither of these for regular reading.

Calibre usually handles conversions fine with some tweaking, but accidents can and do happen, as it did here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:51:19 AM by Erkhyan » Logged

Sasya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »

I’d blame this on the conversion process I had to use, actually. My reader doesn’t support Amazon’s Kindle format, so I had to convert the book to ePub (using Calibre) to read it. Opening the book in the Kindle app (both on PC and on my phone) actually shows your formatting correctly, but for the sake of my eyes I can use neither of these for regular reading.

Calibre usually handles conversions fine with some tweaking, but accidents can and do happen, as it did here.

Ironically, I maintain the eBook version of my book in ePub format, and only convert it to Kindle format.

Anyway, I'm just happy you enjoyed the story. ^.^

I'm working on the sequel as we speak... very excited to get it out there, if people are looking forward to reading it. ^.^

~Fox

<3 <3 <3
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »

I was having problems like that with Calibre conversion, and some Kindle books wouldn't even go through the converter software. However, an upgrade to the latest Calibre conversion seems to have fixed that, for the problems of which I was aware.

It does seem to be a good idea though, when formatting ebooks, to use something printable for scene breaks. Like the traditional "***" or whatever. Marking scene breaks seem to be a dying practice, alas. I've noticed a lot of print books that really need them but don't have them.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »

I'm personnally using the triple asterisk while writing, and I've used similarly visible scene breaks while experimenting with converting existing stories to ePubs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: