FurRag forums
August 18, 2017, 04:31:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Furrag maintenance  (Read 1721 times)
Lonely Wolf

Alone by choice

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

Does anyone know when the website will be back up and running again?

"I cannot tell my story without going a long way back"
-Hermann Hesse
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

Sorry, I've been holding off on explanations hoping that Alex (who actually owns the site) would either make an announcement or a decision.

Here's the situation:

We learned that someone managed to get into the site and copy a bunch of usernames and e-mails. They also got the hashed passwords, but those are salted so it's pretty unlikely they can do anything with them. Anyone who had an account on Furrag itself (not here on the forum, but on the story site) should, just to be safe, change their password on any other site where they used the same password. If you only registered in 2013, then you're probably safe. Likewise, if you use different passwords on other sites, you should be safe. If you use the same password on both the story pages and here on the forums, right now is a good time to change your forum password.

(It's never a good idea to use the same password on a lot of different sites in case this happens.) We are still trying to determine just how severe the weakness in security might be. It is possible that the Furrag site will be turned back on, or possible that it will come back for a while as just a read-only site to let folks collect copies of text or comments that they don't have backed up anywhere else. I don't own the site, I'm just a maintenance guy (you know, like a janitor) so the final word will come from the real owner.

It may be that we can't keep the site going because we can't guarantee that passwords and e-mail addresses will be kept secure. The software is orphaned and has no technical support, unfortunately.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
IronJack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »

Will it be possible to retrieve stories from the site? My mate was one of the authors here and she passed away on September 22nd and I don't have all of her stories on thumb or hard drive and would like as much of her writings as I can salvage.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

I am pushing for some kind of opportunity to do just that, at the very least. I think it should be possible, yes, but at the moment we're waiting on decisions.

(Right now, even I can't get at the story texts.)

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
IronJack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »

It's appreciated. Thanks, Altivo. They mean a lot to me.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 01:58:32 AM »

Absolutely understood. I'll do everything possible to make sure you can get them, somehow. I'm really sorry to hear that news, and also sorry for the inconvenience right now.

-
IronJack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »

And this is why Lily loved this site. You guys are right decent folk for having such a site in the first place and you care about those that post and read.
Osfer
Administrator

Uncrowned King of FurRag and Bad Dog Books.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »

Hi all,

My apologies for the length of time it's taken me to collate and respond. I'm sorry to hear about your friends' passing.

I've updated the main thread here: http://forum.furrag.com/index.php/topic,1352.msg10230.html#msg10230

In the meantime, IronJack, please send me an e-mail at alexfvance@gmail.com with your mate's username and I'll see that you receive a copy of her stories.

- Alex
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: