FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FurRag "Next Generation" discussion group  (Read 1576 times)
chipotle

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »

While the new static site does have a link to the forum on the About page, that's the only link -- it won't be in the header bar. I don't really know how long the forums will be staying up; while they're certainly not a load on the system currently, it's my experience that all-but-abandoned forums eventually get discovered by spammers and overrun, and when that happens it will not be pretty.

(In other words, bookmark the forums directly if you haven't.)

Also, I've created a Google Groups based discussion list for anything that might happen in the future regarding resurrection projects, or if you'd just like to keep in touch:

furrag-ng group

I expect that list to be extremely low traffic (right now it's zero traffic, of course).
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »

We've kept spammers under fairly good control by using several helpful tactics. Without those deliberate efforts, you're right, they'd have completely taken this place over by now.

I will sign up for the Google group, and go take a look at what you've done as soon as I have a moment. (I'm sure it's good, though, and we thank you for that.)

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »

Hi guys. I looked at the new site archive. Thanks for making this work Chipotle. I love it.

The next question is "Should we promote it?" When the site is officially released, perhaps a few tweets would spark some new interest. Also, an email blast to registered users would be nice to let members know that their stories are back online.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »

Unfortunately, so many of the e-mail addresses registered on the old FurRag are out of date that such an e-mail notification effort is probably not the best idea.

Promotion is, though. We have to approach it as something like "FurRag's Last Stand," a last chance to view and read the stories and poems in their natural environment. I imagine there will be some sort of deadline, after which the site will be gone forever. Adequate publicity and promotion should reach anyone with an interest in retrieving their own work (or, possibly, asking that it be removed sooner.)

I doubt that we have the energy or support needed to create an actual replacement site that would be interactive and allow new material to be uploaded. That will have to fall to Weasyl, FA, SF, or other existing locations.

As a logically connected action, I suspect that these forums will go away when the static FurRag does. Ask such, we should consider whether we want to begin plans to move writing discussions to another location. Various venues are possible, I imagine.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: