FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 12:12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So... Who's all playing this year?  (Read 2362 times)
WolfeByte

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »

Yay for FurRag and the Nano love! 

So who's participating this year from our fine fandom, and what's your nano user-names, plot ideas and all that jazz? 

My nano ID is DoggedlyOptimistic, and my plot is...  Vague.  I've got a couple characters, maybe, and a few potential ideas for a premise to build a possible plot on, but that's about it. 

I'm thinking a soft-sci-fi/fantasy type thing, involving a rather pleasant-seeming dystopia  - think of a world where everyone really does get along, because they have to by design,  or by 'retirement' for any nasty non-conformists out there - that works mostly because everything is generally 'good' for the 'average joe' so there's little reason for discontent. 

And if a reason for discontent happens to arise, we'll come along and fix it for you, good as new, because good people are happy people, and that what God wants you all to be...  Happy and good.  Or at least looking that way to any of your equally happy, equally good neighbors that might be watching. 

The only people not very content and happy with this arrangement, is the guy responsible for making sure it works for everyone else...  And of course the occasional bonifide 'different' person, who are of course never spoke of and usually conveniently disappear before they can have any significant impact on the well-contracted fabric of society. 

The plot/conflict arises when the Divine-yet-sadly-human ruler decides He wants to be as blissful as His people, and to return to the state of true belief, and iron-clad faith, He had in His youth.  Indeed, if He could pull it off right, everyone, everywhere, would believe the illusions they've come to depend on, including Himself.  After that, there'd be nobody who wouldn't play along, as there'd be nobody who knew there was even anything to play along with.  After all, nobody ever really questions the reality we all agree upon, especially if it is a good one...

So the sad little God-King of everything decides to initiate the very same 'reality-correction' process the society uses whenever an 'opps' happens - accidental deaths, acts of spontaneous rage - only the target is himself. 

Then the only problem remains: who fixes the fixers?

And that's sort of where I'm at right now.  It's there, it's just vague, and rather mutable at this point.  I'm thinking I might not go so outwardly-seeming perfect for the culture/world, on the theory that people really do thrive with opposition, are happier with a cause, and unite more readily when faced with a common enemy. 

Thoughts and opinions, and questions and any-response-at-all-really-pleasepleaseplease are all welcome. 

So who's next?  Smiley

A beast that may have wanted to eat me, like some malicious, villainous creature in an old fairy tale."

NaNoWriMo '05 Winner!  With a story that only a third finished,. at 50k...  Yay.
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »

Well, your doodad sounds like it's certainly got the potential to be a really interesting psychosocial thing, on the lines of brave new world et al... but I just adore that whole broken utopia concept, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this concept of yours develops.

Personally I'm doing a rewrite of this other thing, because in the intervening few months I've decided that I need to strip out about half of it and replace it, since I was really just 'winging' it the last time, and I never finished it, so.

It is called The Wounded Heart, is a fantasy set in an ancient/early bronze age world, and it is basically about two very, very different people.

One is a member of a holy order of rabbit warriors, ordained into place by the voice of their god, who happens to follow some rather strange beliefs - like the spilling of blood is unholy and unclean - and some inspiration from the sacred band of thebes got me making this character gay, to boot.

The other is the once champion of his tribe of wild hounds, an oversized though rather gentle wolf and hunter whose prideful youth has kind of eroded into an uneasy adulthood with his wife and five children in the slums of a city, where all his martial prowess and other big wolf type virtues amount to nothing.

And it is also about how these two very different guys end up as close friends in the opening rounds of this rather massive war, and how that friendship is strained to breaking point through misfortune and circumstance.

I'm going to be abusing the forum here to post updates about my progress, but on Nanowrimo I'm 'foozzzball', and I can be found at http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/227496

I can't figure out how to find and buddy other writers just from usernames, though! D:
hawkwolf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

I'm nanoing again. This time, I'm gonna win, for the second time in four years. I promise.

I'm HawkWolf there on the nano forum, and I think just Hawk on yiffstar... I'm goign to be rewriting my series "The Woods", as a novel, from start to the finish I never reached.

Hopefully, it will provide insight and a stable story, not some blathering first-person narrative of, "gee, I'm fucked up, why am I fucking dog-morphs so much?"

I write some hardcore erotica, btw. Just as a warning.

Feel free to writing buddy me!
WolfeByte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »

Well, your doodad sounds like it's certainly got the potential to be a really interesting psychosocial thing, on the lines of brave new world et al... but I just adore that whole broken utopia concept, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this concept of yours develops.

Hehe, thanks!  Alas, it's actually all just background, and a lot of it probably won't even come up aside from what's necessary for the characters to be portrayed in a setting with a bit more substance than might usually be in my work.  I normally write very character-based stuff for the most part, but I'm going on the idea that (just like in art) if I'm bad at developing backgrounds I should do it first, to do it justice before moving onto the stuff I really like to do.

And it seems like you like the character-driven stuff too, which of course is always good.  Wolves and rabbits, eh?  Well, the premise you've got sounds decent, and it's not like you're rducing them to cliches, so it should be interesting.  Smiley

Quote from: foozzzball
I'm going to be abusing the forum here to post updates about my progress, but on Nanowrimo I'm 'foozzzball', and I can be found at http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/227496

I can't figure out how to find and buddy other writers just from usernames, though! D:

Well, they used to have a rather efficient user-search function (in previous years), but I can't find it now, so it might not even exist anymore.  I'm at http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/100250 if you guys want to add me.   

I figured I'd take advantage of Osfur's hospitality here as well, just to chat it up with some anthro/furry nano-ers, since the NaNo forums are so slow right now, and I can find hardly a trace of any of us aside from the one thread in the 'erotica genre' forums. 

It's like the NaNo universe is the last unconquered territory for furries, since we seem so prominent everywhere on the web...  Haven't even found a trace in the 'writers groups' forums either... Which is fine, I just figured I'd have a bit more common ground with furry writers than ones from my region or age group, and most my other hobbies are even bigger dead ends for drumming up interest in NaNo... 

(What?  Artists and Gamers...Write?  Novels?  And stop doodling constantly, or playing Wow?!?  *gasp*)

I might make a post in the "Writers groups" forums for furries, directing them here, see if I can have a bit more of a social nano-experience this year.  The more the merrier, right? 

I'm nanoing again. This time, I'm gonna win, for the second time in four years. I promise.

I'm HawkWolf there on the nano forum, and I think just Hawk on yiffstar... I'm goign to be rewriting my series "The Woods", as a novel, from start to the finish I never reached.

Hopefully, it will provide insight and a stable story, not some blathering first-person narrative of, "gee, I'm fucked up, why am I fucking dog-morphs so much?"

I write some hardcore erotica, btw. Just as a warning.

Feel free to writing buddy me!

Heya Hawk, and welcome to FurRag...  Thanks for joining us! 

Erotica is good.  I like 'Teh Yiff' as much as anyone...  Maybe more than most.  Wink  And why does anyone need any other reason besides "I want to!" to fuck dog-morphs anyway? 

And I can't believe you're both using NaNo to re-write old stuff...  I'm always eager to start something new, but rarely ever finish anything, ever.  Smiley

A beast that may have wanted to eat me, like some malicious, villainous creature in an old fairy tale."

NaNoWriMo '05 Winner!  With a story that only a third finished,. at 50k...  Yay.
bengoodridge

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »

I'm here mostly because I managed to open my mouth and insert my foot firmly up to the groin. Last year I couldn't play, because I couldn't interrupt a project I was working on and take November off. So this year, when I found myself approaching November with my latest opus safely off to be vilified and excoriated by the dimmer bulbs of the publishing community, and clutching a well-crafted outline of a smashing space opera boldly in my teeth, I went straight online to boast.

Unfortunately, the first person I boasted to was Alex Vance, who is convinced that any day his writers fail to part the Red Sea is a day wasted. Having accidentally raised the stakes, I later discovered that readers of my stories and my blog had heard that there was new material in the nonce, whatever a "nonce" may turn out to be, and I was suddenly surrounded by sharks.

So while I was planning to visit the NaNo forums and say "Fifty thousand words? Hah! I eat that for breakfast!" I started to ask myself - "Wait a minute. When was the last time I really did write fifty thousand words of anything?" True. Most of my work since "White Crusade" has been in filling out my short stories for other markets and tidying up rough drafts of older stories, some of which predates "White Crusade" by quite a bit. It's been a while since I've cut a new novel whole cloth from a fresh idea.

But the most important thing is just to have fun, right?

Love, Ben
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »

Hehe, thanks!  Alas, it's actually all just background, and a lot of it probably won't even come up aside from what's necessary for the characters to be portrayed in a setting with a bit more substance than might usually be in my work.  I normally write very character-based stuff for the most part, but I'm going on the idea that (just like in art) if I'm bad at developing backgrounds I should do it first, to do it justice before moving onto the stuff I really like to do.

Background can work out to be kind of like the bones of your story. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy changes breath mint and gets girl back can be told in many ways. Often it's the background, be it setting detail or character history, that makes it interesting. Thus, I approve wholeheartedly. Particularly if there are vast swathes of material that never come up directly. Adds flavour!

And I can't believe you're both using NaNo to re-write old stuff...  I'm always eager to start something new, but rarely ever finish anything, ever.  Smiley

See. This is basically WHY I am re-writing old stuff... I get to pretend it's new again, and this way I have a better chance of finishing it. Maybe.

I'm here mostly because I managed to open my mouth and insert my foot firmly up to the groin. Last year I couldn't play, because I couldn't interrupt a project I was working on and take November off. So this year, when I found myself approaching November with my latest opus safely off to be vilified and excoriated by the dimmer bulbs of the publishing community, and clutching a well-crafted outline of a smashing space opera boldly in my teeth, I went straight online to boast.

I adore space opera. Particularly space opera with a twinge of hard SF, but I'm just geeky for giant spaceships in general. With something that promising on the horizon I'm not surprised you found yourself surrounded by sharks.

You may need to add one to the count.
WolfeByte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:32 AM »

See. This is basically WHY I am re-writing old stuff... I get to pretend it's new again, and this way I have a better chance of finishing it. Maybe.

So you're saying I really should use the 2007 NaNo to keep going on the 2005 NaNo I never finished (finished 50 000 words, but not even close to the end of the story), in hopes that I may one day get it done (three or four more NaNo's from now)? 

I dunno if I could really convince my brain that it was something 'new' like that tho'... 

I was suddenly surrounded by sharks.

*nom-nom-nom* Grin

Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:44:33 AM »

Slightly belated answer. I'm playing... again. Same name here, there, and everywhere.

I never finished in 2005, and the incomplete MS is still here on FurRag: Menander of Alexandria. It's not hopeless, and may yet be concluded.

I did complete the 50K last year, and finished the actual storyline somewhat later. That one is still being polished, too slowly.

I thought of writing a sequel to it, in fact was going to do so, but since I'm still working on final edits, I didn't want to be entangled in two closely related books at the same time. Hence, something different this year in the form of a suspense/mystery story.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: