FurRag forums
August 17, 2017, 11:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How fast can you type?  (Read 2258 times)
bengoodridge

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I got 93 WPM.

I loathe taking typing tests. When I was in high school, when dinosaurs and Spandau Ballet roamed the Earth, the typing tutorials we took were ugly and primitive. Some lingering perverseness in the hearts of those administering the test forced them to grade us on accuracy rather than speed, which meant that the software we used deducted points for each typo and wouldn't allow backspaces, even though computers had long since supplanted typewriters and corrections were no longer the hassle they were in the bygone era of Smith-Corona and Underwood.

The result is that when you made a mistake, you were stuck with it. Some of the fastest, most skilled typists we had wound up with scores like 16 WPM. Ever since then, I've despised taking typing tests, even though I can pump out 85 WPM for extended periods.

When I'm writing, I tend to calculate words per hour rather than words per minute - words per minute is not an accurate assessment for how long a project is going to take to complete, at least not for me. I generally write at 1500 words per HOUR, which is only about 25 words per minute. If I have a vague idea of how long a project is going to end up - say, a nice round 50,000 words - I can guess how much time I'm going to be spending on that project. I can give these figures to Alex and get him off my back for a few days.

Hi, Alex!
--
Ben Goodridge
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »

I hit 93, but with one typo.

I agree wholeheartedly with the words per hour thing, but... 1500 words an hour? Wow!

I think I've hit that kind of speed once or twice, but usually I end up closer to 500 an hour. Then again, I have a nasty habit of multitasking... you know what I mean. Looking at forums, for instance. Tongue

Osfer
Administrator

Uncrowned King of FurRag and Bad Dog Books.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 05:14:07 AM »

*performs fiendish calculations*

Well, Ben, it would appear that I can push you even harder! You could write me a damn novel in a single midwee, if you forgo sleep, food or breathing...
Homo_fictious

I has cookie. *nomnomnom*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »

Embarrassed I'm slow. I barly made 33wpm. I don't like it.

*begins weeping*

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter.
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »

43 wpm here... Though I was congartulated for having made no mistake... Whee!!!

Mad Pierrot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »

The upside: 96 wpm.
The downside: Two typos.

Eh, I can live with that.

I think part of the challenge in this particular test depends on the block of text that you have to type. The above score was from typing a paragraph from Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn, which is fairly easy to read. I tried this test before, and the first time around, it gave me a paragraph from one of the legends of King Arthur. Trying to read and type the older English lowered my wpm to something like 78, with one typo. So it seems likely that, in this case, your mileage may will vary.

White Jazz (p. 1)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »

I'll skip the test and just say that I worked as a professional secretary and typist for a few years. Last time I was tested as part of a job interview, I scored just over 100 wpm with no errors. That was on an old Selectric. The computer does encourage bad habits, poor finger positions, bad posture, all the stuff your typing teacher told you not to do. Sure, it's easier to correct mistakes now, but it still costs time and energy to make them and then correct them.

One word of advice: unless you are a truly atrocious speller, keep the automatic correction junk in your word processor turned off. It messes up as much as it fixes in most cases.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: