FurRag forums
August 17, 2017, 11:35:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, that's 12,500 words done...  (Read 2662 times)
bengoodridge

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:22 AM »

Hi, guys! How's it going so far!

OpenOffice Word Processor's word count says I've managed to tick over 12,500 words thus far. That's a relief, because I noticed that I was writing myself rather spectacularly into a corner at the end of the first ten thousand. That's the problem with these early surges - you can spend two hours writing yourself down the wrong road, and then not be able to get back on track.

So let's have the totals. Anyone there yet? (I hate you if you are.) Anyone close? Anyone can't get past page two? Let me know; maybe we can work something out.

--Ben Goodridge
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »

I'm wedged in at just under 5K. I think the problem is I'm trying to write something very stylistic at the moment, and it's hard. Maybe hard enough I'm going to break down and just say 'Screw it, I'll write it any old way, I can add style when I edit'...

But failing that, I'm just about to leave to go and see if I can find my muse, at, appropriately enough, the museum. Wish me luck!

Edit -

Back from the museum(s).

Is the flail osiris holds an agricultural impliment, or a weapon? Most depictions of threshing grain involve driving cattle over a threshing floor, while overseers of labour are occasionally depicted with a flail as a sign of authority... But the flail started out threshing grain, didn't it?

Of course this is Egypt, not my story, but it's just an interesting observation from the museum today.

Also the muse was kind of sort of there, but getting her home... well. I don't think she'd fit under my coat, and the British Museum no doubt has all kinds of security tricks to prevent you from running off with her.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:34:38 PM by foozzzball » Logged
Everace

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »

I would be surprised if the flail was used for threshing at any point in history... a heavy ball on the end of a chain doesn't seem like the easiest item to use for that purpose, nor the easiest to create!

My avatars?  Think of them as multiple personality disorder in a good way.
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »

To answer Ben's question first, I'm at 8152 words and counting, hope to break 10K before going to bed, which will keep me at least on quota.

Now about the flail. It is indeed an agricultural implement. No doubt there is a connection between the later weapon of the same name and the original, but the hand flail was used for threshing grains in eastern Europe right up into the 20th century. The Egyptians raised spelt and kamut, both close relatives of modern wheat, and both of which require threshing and winnowing in order to separate the edible portion from the straw and chaff. I suspect that the flails used as a symbol of office by the Pharaohs and their gods served a dual purpose. They represented agricultural plenty, but were also expected to double as an instrument of punishment on occasion. They were not a tool of murder or execution, like the sword, but rather a device of chastisement, like a whip or paddle.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Everace

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:39:10 AM »

*Still picturing a peasant using a 2 Handed Heavy Flail to thresh grain.  Still confused.  Goes to google it, and hopefully figure it out for himself.*

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »

A threshing flail is nowhere near that heavy. It's usually made of wood, with a round bat-like handle and one or two flattened strips attached to the end by a flexible link made of cording or wire. It doesn't weigh enough to require two hands, and in fact I've seen photos of threshers using two at once, one in each hand.

The heavy weapons used by (and against) armored men were based on the same idea, but obviously much heavier. Used on grain they would have turned it to meal. ;p

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Everace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 02:16:56 AM »

Mmmm, I eventually found some diagrams.  All I can say is thank heavens for the windmill...

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:19:22 AM »

*snickers* Speaking from a horse's point of view, I'd have to agree with that. Walking in perpetual circles is no fun either.

-
WolfeByte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 04:02:53 AM »

I got promoted at work. 

It was sudden, and rather unexpected in any real sense.  I make loads more money now than I did just 5 days ago, but alas, I spend way more time in a suburban coma as well, which is hardly beneficial to the creative urge/nanowrimoing.  I'm not giving up though, as I'm hoping it'll settle down a bit later in November after the no-free-time-for-you-until-you're-trained-because-we-needed everything-done-yesterday stuff wears off. 

So for now, I sit at 4-5000 words, and I'm lucky if I can manage to add a few hundred words every few days. 

Ah, well, back to the grind... 

A beast that may have wanted to eat me, like some malicious, villainous creature in an old fairy tale."

NaNoWriMo '05 Winner!  With a story that only a third finished,. at 50k...  Yay.
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:57:59 AM »

I'm just under... erm... 500 words done since November 1st. Which is pretty quick compared to my usual pace. Eek! Embarrassed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: