FurRag forums
June 29, 2017, 02:05:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for submissions  (Read 3922 times)
Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

Just spreading the word that Sofawolf Press is now accepting submissions for volume #6 of their adult publication, Heat.  It's a great magazine, and they're also upping their pay rate starting with this issue, so have a look here for deadlines and guidelines:

http://www.sofawolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=39

(I didn't know if announcements like this should go here, in General, or in the Writer's Office, so feel free to move this if it's supposed to be elsewhere.)

More stories, poems, and the Thursday Prompt...
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/poetigress
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »

FurRag is a good place to post it, but I'd think Writer's Office makes more sense. Maybe you could just cross post it there.

I'd add one thing: Heat, as the name is meant to imply, is supposed to be only for adult erotica. I don't think they'll consider submissions for that title if they are less than X rated. (Pity.)

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

Well, I did say "adult" publication.   Roll Eyes  But if one doesn't write erotica, they're also taking submissions currently for New Fables:

http://www.newfables.com

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »

I think we corrupt the meaning of "adult" if we assume it is limited strictly to erotica. A lot of other themes and material are best suited to an adult audience, even though they aren't sexually explicit.  Tongue

I didn't realize that New Fables no. 3 was already open for submissions. I'm still having a little trouble figuring out exactly what Tim wants in that, but I'll probably try again.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:34:13 PM »

Well, in this case, I am corrupting it to mean erotica.  *shrug* At any rate, I think Heat's guidelines and previous issues make it perfectly clear which connotation of "adult" they're looking for.

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »

You're certainly right about anyone who has seen Heat being able to guess what's expected. I only added my comment for the sake of those who may not have seen it.

-
SouthBayWolf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

Has anyone here submitted or better yet, been published in something like this?
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »

As you might have guessed from my remarks above, I don't write erotica any more. However, there are certainly folks present on FurRag who have been published in Heat, if that was what you meant. Alex himself, Kyell, and K.M. Hirosaki to name three who come immediately to mind.

If you have specific questions, I imagine Alex will have some comments for you.

-
SouthBayWolf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »

Mind if I ask why you stopped (writing erotica?)

I am just curious, not really good enough to try yet, and still too much work yet to do on the storying I am working on now.

:-)
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »

Well, put in simplest terms, I just got tired of it. Cheesy

I had sold some stories (non-furry) back in the 1980s. Then I sent off one that I thought was particularly good to an editor who had bought my stuff before. He actually called me on the phone (which is unusual in itself) and it was to deliver a rejection. It was the reason that was the final nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned. He liked the story, and gave me half a dozen reasons why it was really good. Then he said he couldn't take it because "it took too long to get to the sex." Now mind, this was a 5000 word story. He liked the sex, he liked the way it was described, he especially liked the setting which was not San Francisco or New York and not even urban. He liked the characters, he liked the way they interacted. But... in order to put the sex right up front in the story, I'd have had to cut out all the things he just told me he liked so much. It would have been just another formulaic piece of one-handed male fiction with nothing distinctive to recommend it. I told him "Thank you" and that's when I quit.

I don't write formulas. I write what is real, colorful, and imaginative (at least, in my own opinion.) I take time with it, and I'm never going to make a lot of money from it because of that alone. And, to be perfectly honest, I'm not interested in people reading my writing "just for the sex" no matter how good that might be. So, explicit sex happens off camera. End of rule, as far as I'm concerned. That's not an indictment of anyone else, and I think Kyell Gold and K.M. Hirosaki are very fine writers. But from my point of view it's in spite of their erotic scenes rather than because of them.

It's sort of like in my day job (I'm a librarian.) We can plan an educational presentation, like a speaker or slide show, or a documentary film, and get a small turn out. But if we add "free refreshments will be served" to the announcement, the number of attendees will go up drastically. It may even double. So there's a temptation to always offer lemonade and cookies or whatever, but... Does that really serve a purpose? I think not. It's just a distraction. I'd rather speak to the audience who came to hear what I have to say than to the ones who are just sitting around waiting for the free snack. I know, some people think that sounds snobbish or elitist, but I make no apology for it. It's just the way I feel about my writing.

-
SouthBayWolf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

Wow, Thanks for the well detailed explanation. :-)

I can understand that actually. I am keeping it in my story, but only as it serves purpose, the rest of the time it will be led up to, mentioned, and moved beyond. I'm sure there are many that will be frustrated that they don't just pounce each other when they first meet, It is not till page 180 or so when they finally do.

*shrugs* I'm writing it for me, if anyone else enjoys it: cool! 

I have not tried to write anything that is strong erotic, it might be a fun challenge, but I have to agree that the formula might be a bit difficult to work with. (Then again, it could be fun to bend the rules too.)

Oh well, not this time. Have another big (important) section of the story to write.

Thanks for putting all the effort into your answer. :-)

Brian
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »

No problem. Thanks for asking, instead of just thinking I'm a snob.  Cheesy

-
Poetigress

Panthera tigris libris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »

Has anyone here submitted or better yet, been published in something like this?

My story "Two Rivers" appears in in the current issue (#5), and I also had a story called "Government Issue" in #1.

I do think it's possible to write erotica that is "real, colorful, and imaginative." That's what I try to do, anyway.  If people wind up reading what I write just for the sex, well, I can't control that -- let's face it, in the fandom they might also be reading it because it features their favorite species or what have you -- but I can make sure they get some kind of plot and character development along with the sex, and I can do my best to write the best story I possibly can, regardless of the subject matter involved.  That's true with the erotic fiction I've published both inside and outside the fandom.

I don't look down on anyone who doesn't write erotic scenes for their own reasons, whether I agree with those reasons or not.  I don't think their choice to not write explicit sex makes them greater or lesser than any other writer.  We all have to choose our own subject matter -- simply stated, we should write what we want to write.  But I do get tired of the assumption that erotica winds up just being one-handed reading (or is written to get attention or popularity for the author) and therefore automatically can't live up to the same standards as any other genre.  So I admit, I do see it as a bit elitist to call people fine writers "in spite of" the kind of stories they choose to write.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:52:11 PM by Poetigress » Logged

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »

Your story in Heat #5 is certainly of very high quality, I have no argument there. The erotica is closely linked to the story and does advance the character development and plot, rather than giving the impression of either having been written first and the rest added just to "fill in the corners" or else having been added just to "spice up" the story as one might add seasoning to food. There is a real plot and real character development, and the wordcraft is good too.

Unfortunately, I find this sort of work to be the exception rather than the rule in the field of erotic writing. Many writers seem to call on a thesaurus of colorful words for genitalia and sexual actions rather than taking on the real work of conveying emotional and personal involvement. Even K.M. Hirosaki's story in the same issue seems to me to have some explicit sex just because it's expected, and not because it really advances an otherwise cute romance between two diverse and interesting characters. In fact, it seems almost out of place to me given the reluctance otherwise shown by the two characters prior to the incident. Kyell Gold's story uses the sex scene primarily as a comic relief to an otherwise fairly intense romance story, and that sort of tweak of self-conscious humor is something he's really good at, so I can understand why it's there when the detail would otherwise have been unneeded.

None of these three are what I would term "one handed fiction." That label is reserved for formula writing and potboilers, and when I used it I was referring to what that long ago editor wanted me to deliver, rather than in reference to anything I've seen from Sofawolf.

-
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »

Something I am going to say, on the sort of, ad-hoc discussion that's forming up.

Personally, I find that trying to crow-bar smut into a story that doesn't want it just so it can meet requirements for some site or whatever is, frankly, like pulling teeth. And I think it shows in the quality of the thing. However.

However. If not for the popularity of the material in the fandom, thus neccessitating its inclusion over on YS and whatnot, I don't think I would ever have bothered branching out into writing somewhat slice-of-life-ish romance-ish stuff. In general I write very militant bang-bang explosions oh geez that guy's face is pudding type stuff, which is - frankly - really limited in scope at the end of the day. Branching out's ultimately been very good for me as a writer.

But that's partly because I got frustrated with the crowbar and started searching for ways to make explorations of sexuality and scenes involving sexual encounters meaningful to the story on some level. Oh, and, uh. I do have a submission lined up for Heat, I'm just panicing because I don't have enough people to read it and get opinions to me by the 23rd. Was there a proof reader request thread knocking around? If not, I should probably start one... I've got more I'm trying to polish up for publication in the next month or two. x.x
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: