FurRag forums
August 17, 2017, 11:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2008  (Read 4652 times)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

Just a reminder. National Novel Writing Month (which really ought to be called International now) is coming up in just over a week. I plan to participate again, and I hope others will be joining me. It's a lot of fun, and you might even come out of it with a good chunk of writing completed.

Here's how it works.

Go to http://www.nanowrimo.org/ and register as a participant. There is no charge for participation. If you've "done the NaNo" before, you will probably find that you are still registered from your previous visits.

At 12:00 am on November 1 (your local time) you can begin writing. Planning and outlining in advance is permitted, but no actual writing until the starting bell. You have until midnight on November 30 to complete at least 50,000 words in draft form. Do that, and you are a winner. It takes 1,667 words a day to make the deadline.

Much merriment can be associated with the process. There are discussion forums, local groups that meet in person, pep talks, and even a podcast. You are encouraged to post samples either on the NaNo site itself or elsewhere. I hope some of you will do as I have done in the past, and post your draft here on FurRag so we can all see it as it develops.

As a new enticement, the organizers have made arrangements this year so that anyone who completes their novel within the 30 day period will be able to have a single copy printed and bound, like a galley proof, free of charge.

Several award-winning novels have been finished and published as a result of the NaNo. The one that most immediately comes to mind for me is Sarah Gruen's best-selling work, Water for Elephants, which she wrote for the NaNo, then completed and polished for publication.

I've participated for the last three years, and finished the 50K words before the deadline in the last two. It's a wonderful writer's exercise and I've enjoyed it every time. I've asked Osfer to create a new discussion header for this year's competition, but if he doesn't get around to it, we can use the one that still exists from last year. We'll also have a series or collection to which you can add your drafts if you choose to share them.

Anyone else planning to join in the fun?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:34:25 PM by Altivo » Logged

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »

I'll be doing it, and I'm going to a writing jam at a cafe on Nov 2nd to kick off (well, I'll be writing before then, but still...).
It's shoddy timing, because I have a costume to finish by Nov 14th, and I doubt I'll get my fabric tomorrow so I can sew over the weekend, but what can you do?

Got two story ideas and still not sure which one I'll use. Maybe I'll spend some time this weekend outlining so I can decide.

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:18:47 PM »

Oh good. You can find me on the NaNo site as Altivo.

Costume? I'm scrambling to get a costume done with a similar deadline. (New fursuit for MFF.)

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:33:55 AM »

I'm planning to make a replica of the priest Tier 5 armor (all fabric, tho) for the release of the new WoW expansion, so I can go to the midnight release wearing it. Just for the "would be cool" factor.

Osfer
Administrator

Uncrowned King of FurRag and Bad Dog Books.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »

Altivo, glad to see you've got the finger on the trigger! Rather than create a new, blank forum (we know how intimidating those can be) I've renamed the old one. I'll send out an e-mail bulletin to all members to inform them of this glorious event. The condition of my fingers prohibits me from formally participating, again, but I'm maintaining my tradition of support, and I'm hosting a kick-off workshop for the Dutch & Belgian NaNo communities in Amsterdam next week. Should be good fun!

I'll also move this topic to the renamed new/old board Smiley
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:09:51 AM »

If you're doing NaNo this year and have a LiveJournal, don't forget to join the lj_nanowrimo community and comment in the designated post with your NaNo name or user number! For every person that does this who is a confirmed winner at the end of November, LJ will donate $1 to NaNo's Young Writers program. I think that's a pretty good cause, and since you were doing NaNo anyway, there's no good reason not to do it!

There was a recent LJ newspost about it, but I doubt I'm the only one who frequently forgets/doesn't bother to read the newsposts.

WolfeByte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »

I'm trying again this year, last year was an epic failure (15K Tongue).  I'm trying to decide if I should just write 50k of furry smut this year, or maintain my 'Nano is serious business, srsly' facade for another year. 

Writing furry smut maybe too easy though, if I get a good idea going - I've done 25K in a single night before with furry smut (albeit not recently - recent output being a big fat zero for almost a year...)

A beast that may have wanted to eat me, like some malicious, villainous creature in an old fairy tale."

NaNoWriMo '05 Winner!  With a story that only a third finished,. at 50k...  Yay.
foozzzball

Lazy. And fuzzy. Mainly Lazy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »

Good luck to everyone giving NaNo a bash this year - I'm afraid I'm not joining in this year, but I shall be quietly enthusiastic for all of you on the sidelines.
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 06:35:40 AM »

Can we have a collection for the stories? (What this question really means is "do I wait for Osfer to create one or do I do it myself nownownow since I'm an impatient little bitch?")

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »

I created a collection called "NaNoWriMo 2008" and it's open for anyone to attach their work now. Hope I got it right. Let me know.  Cheesy

-
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »

Awesome, thanks! Cheesy

I just got back from my local NaNo kickoff, which was a blast. Not terribly effective, as none of us did much writing, but very inspiring and interesting nevertheless. I feel a bit like the odd one out in some ways, as I was the only one in that group writing in English, but there were other things we did have in common and it was fun to discuss writing things.

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »

Sweden, right? Given the high level of English literacy there, I'd think people would prefer to write in English because of the much larger potential audience. I guess I can understand a concern about protecting a language from being overtaken by the widely spoken languages of the world, but there has to be an economic advantage to writing in English too, at least if you want to be published.

-
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »

The high level of English literacy here is a myth. Tongue Most Swedes have a sad sad sad vocabulary.
I'm happy with my English story, though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: