FurRag forums
August 23, 2017, 12:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Critics' Choice nomination and discussion  (Read 10248 times)
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »

Yarr har har... here be the nomination and discussion thread for our Recommended Reading list. This bein' an unstructured sort of forum, there shall bee no rigid format ter follow. All 'm askin' is that ye fellows post the toitl's and names of yer fav'red stories and authors, which we be discussin' and judgin' for inclusion in our most respecktable Readin' List a month or so from now. So post away, don' be shy, and don' be carvin' up carcasses with yer cutlasses or ye'll be bobbin' 'round in a barrel at the bo''om of the ocean, bellowin' bye-bye to yer booty!

*inhales deeply*

God, that was hard. I'll probably regret this when I wake up in the morning... Anyway, post away, mateys! Let's hear those nominations.

---

Note: Ratings are in Chromium Steel's system (http://forum.furrag.com/index.php/topic,665.msg4548.html#msg4548)

Stories:
    ColinCougar -
A Midsummer's Day Dream (AC)
threetails - The Farmer and the Gorge (GC)
foozzzball - My Brother (TC), A Father's Skin (TC)
Kyell - Jacks To Open (AC)
Poetigress - Childish Things (GC)
Quinn Yellowfox - Wastelands

Authors:
    Acherontia Styx
    ColinCougar
    DragonTalon
    foozzzball
    Klisoura
    Kyell
    KM Hirosaki
    Wandering Dog

**This may not be a complete list! Check edit time for last update.**[/list]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:24:03 PM by Altivo » Logged

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:10:48 AM »

*read first paragraph with twitching eye* The sad part, being a peon in the service industry, I run into people who talk like that.

Any way, due to my tired brain, I submit the author of the guy who writes the dragon/unicorn stuff.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:23 AM »

Any way, due to my tired brain, I submit the author of the guy who writes the dragon/unicorn stuff.
You mean God? Cheesy

OK, you're probably talking about DragonTalon. I'll list him, but just to be sure, please verify. Can't read minds, you know.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:58:41 AM »

You mean God? Cheesy

OK, you're probably talking about DragonTalon. I'll list him, but just to be sure, please verify. Can't read minds, you know.
Yes and as I said, I typed that with half my brain in sleep mode. What is even more amazing is I like the guy's erotica and I am gay! That should count for something!

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »

Sexuality is one of the more fluid aspects of our personalities. Also, you're a college-age male; I think that may have affected your decision more than anything. Cheesy

Anyway, keep the names coming! We could use some titles as well, they'd make for a nice blend.

- attr. Mark Twain
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

Well, buying a printer this week so should be able to start reading the longer stories finally. Will certainly drop in with any gems I find...
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:13:06 AM »

As an author, I would suggest Acherontia Styx, who specializes in m/m drama with some erotica thrown in. Yes, he's got a — to say the least — erratic online presence and posting schedule. Yes, he got that weird idea of dividing his gallery between two sites (one story here on FurRag, seven on SoFurry). Yes, most of his pieces are unpolished. But at least, they're almost all unpolished gems.

Note: His SoFurry gallery might appear empty to you if you're not logged in as a member (due to all the story being marked as adult). I can provide the links, though.

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »

Let's try to keep all our references here first, but later on, by all means, we can list outside stories.

Here's an idea -- why don't we place an announcement on the front page inviting one and all to join in nominating stories for the recommended list? It would still be our choice in the end, but more audience participation in the nomination might be good for us. I dunno. What do you guys think?

- attr. Mark Twain
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »

Added Wandering Dog to the authors list. Gay erotica again, but damn beautiful language. Very poetic. Almost lost my objectivity on that one. Pity he didn't write anything more.

Threetails' The Farmer and the Gorge is also on the stories list. It felt well executed to me, and the fable structure makes up for the relatively simple language. Also, there seems to be a dearth of PG-13 stories on here. We better do something about that or I'll never be able to show this place to my not-gay not-furry friends. :p

- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »

and just is wrong with gay erotica? *waves sheafs of dirty man smut*

H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »

Also, there seems to be a dearth of PG-13 stories on here. We better do something about that or I'll never be able to show this place to my not-gay not-furry friends. :p

- attr. Mark Twain
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »

It has a somewhat narrow appeal. That's the main thing. It's OK but it isn't (and should not be) the universe.

And Reiter, go to Search, then click "advanced search". Choose PG-13, exclude gay, and see what you get. There's quite a lot, including some substantial works by Graveyard Greg, Poetigress, foozzzball, Quoting_Mungo, Quinn Yellowfox, and myself. Not that there couldn't be more. All you have to do is post some.  Cheesy

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »

It has a somewhat narrow appeal. That's the main thing. It's OK but it isn't (and should not be) the universe.

And Reiter, go to Search, then click "advanced search". Choose PG-13, exclude gay, and see what you get. There's quite a lot, including some substantial works by Graveyard Greg, Poetigress, foozzzball, Quoting_Mungo, Quinn Yellowfox, and myself. Not that there couldn't be more. All you have to do is post some.  Cheesy
I said it rather jokingly but still.

H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »

Thanks, 'Tivo, didn't know the search engine had an 'exclude' function. Don't worry, I'll get around to adding those stories. When they're ready. Grin

I've been rereading Jorge Luis Borges' The House of Asterion and I have to say, it's a remarkable story. Very powerful, doesn't weaken at all with the retelling. Would it count as 'furry'? I'm thinking of adding an "External sources" list and putting it there.

- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:44:28 AM »

if you do add an external list, then I will stalk you unless you make sure to put the red wall series. *has wave of nostalgia before donning night vision goggles.*

H. L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: