FurRag forums
July 20, 2017, 10:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Critics' Choice nomination and discussion  (Read 10132 times)
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »

Aaaand, ta-da! you have your progress thread. Go forth, spread the word, and joy. Tongue

http://forum.furrag.com/index.php/topic,703.0.html

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »

1. FA, due to them dicking around with the coding, has accidently turned off new registration and they have no clue how to turn it back on.
Unless you have a source for that (not the "registration being down and being expected back up by the end of the month at the latest and being done manually by admins if you email them until then" part, the "they don't know what they're doing" part), please don't sling dirt on other sites for the hell of it. It's rude. I'm honestly not fond of FA, but I've better things to do than pick on them about things they aren't even doing.

On the subject of other galleries/archives in general, I've given up on SF since they ceased to be YS. Too many things wrong with the site at launch at least half of which should have been caught in testing. Some of which are arguably to a lesser or greater extent still issues. (The site still doesn't work right in IE.) There's also the strictly-furry-material rule which doesn't work for all my writing.

FA's interface isn't appropriate for stories; I've one story I'll likely be posting to an alternate/shared account since it's part of a webcomic project's extra material, but for the most part I'm sticking to posting art, and even that with mixed feelings.

Honestly most of my non-snippety writing now resides on a WordPress installation on my own webspace, along with whatever opinion pieces I cobble together on fandom and writing. I don't have to worry about whether the material is "furry enough" for the furry sites, the furry sites don't have to deal with my non-furry but still awesome (I said so so it must be ture) writing, everybody wins. Wink

I admittedly haven't been posting much of any new material to FurRag, either, lately. I'll probably post up if I manage to finish more chapters of The Dragon King, but other than that I'm just not writing as much furry stuff as I used to, it seems. I have been making an effort to review writing on the site lately, though, and I hope that can do some good at least.

k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

For FA, that was what I gathered from the forums and other places about why the new registration is down.
Second, IE is a very poor browser and might be the cause of why you have issues with the site.
I preferred YS and still miss it but can't change things now.

FA is a joke for writing.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »

Um, I have to agree with QM. It's not fair to accuse, generalize, or misattribute complaints (I can distinctly see that the IE comment was directed at SF and not FA) if you haven't used the system - OR - if you're familiar with *another* system that's gone and are just sour-graping about its loss. FA may not be the best writing archive. You may not prefer it - I certainly don't - but many others do, and calling it a joke purely out of personal prejudice doesn't swing things one way or another, and certainly *doesn't* help to improve this site or that one. Which, last I checked, is what this whole thread was meant for in the first place.

Anyway, main reason I'm posting is to put a deadline for the recommendation period. Let's make it next week, July 18. Can't make it forever, folks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:13:55 PM by Reiter » Logged

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »

Please put 'Jacks to Open' in for me. Unfortunately not PG13, but remains one of the most memorable short stories I have read so far.
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »

The execution of the writing on FA is a joke. The upload system is useless and rarely works. The tag list is woefully inadequate, and I can write a full essay on it.

As for IE. I have used it in the past and it is a very VERY poor system. It's prone to glitchy, it's security is pretty much nonexistent.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 07:11:21 AM »

I use IE for the simple reason that it's the only browser that doesn't crash after a while on my computers. (Well, right now nothing crashes on my laptop, because it's bricked, so nothing runs in the first place, but...) SF wasn't tested at all on IE before the launch (I have this straight from the mouth of one of the current coders), which was just sloppy. Whether or not you personally like it, there will be enough people out there using it that you can't go designing sites without taking it into account.

As for recommendations... I've not read as much on the site as I'd have liked to, but Poetigress's work in general is quite good, and I'd say if you want a story in particular, Childish Things would be it.

tempest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »

I'd gladly nominate Osfer's Maranatha, but it's erotica.
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

Well, yeah, if you want to nominate non-erotica, then you have to read some.  Wink

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »

Kay, nommy's closed. Shall we put the list to a vote? I'll update the list tomorrow and... well, we'll figure out how this thing will run.

- attr. Mark Twain
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »

Done. I'm swamped with work at the mo' but will check back over the next few days.

Let's do a simple "Vote to Keep" or "Vote to Reject" for now. We have too few members and too few stories to warrant a more complex system.

- attr. Mark Twain
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »

I had nominated Quinn's Wastelands but you missed it. I went ahead and added it to the list.

I did not apply a rating because, quite frankly, the rating system Chromium proposed is just too complex for me to deal with. I don't understand it, or the need for something so detailed.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »

Whoops, missed that. Sorry 'Tivo, and thanks for adding it to the list.

I think CS just wanted to make a ratings system that would be consistent for all readers, considering how the PG-13 ratings systems vary from country to country. But I guess if this is too complicated for most people and the existing one is too ambiguous, we can always revert to labeling stories as Erotica, Non-erotica, and Non-erotica With Sex. Pretty much covers the whole spectrum. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:27:45 PM by Reiter » Logged

- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

so, where do we vote?

H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Here?

- attr. Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: