FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 05:06:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Critics' Choice nomination and discussion  (Read 10055 times)
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 01:01:10 PM »

There are a couple of stories I haven't read there, but of the ones that are, I vote yes to keep them all. If I don't post to the contrary, you can assume I say yes to all.
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »

Keep for all. Seems I forgot to place Acherontia Styx and DragonTalon in the stories category (as they both have only one story uploaded). In which case I'll vote keep for Acherontia and no keep for DragonTalon, as I didn't think his story was polished enough.

Also, I realize I didn't set a deadline for this. Sorry. Let's make it August 1, i.e. next week.

Smile, people! Smiley

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »

I vote to keep all of these stories that I was able to read until now: A Midsummer's Day Dream, My Brother, A Father's Skin, Jacks To Open and Wastelands. I'll let others decide for those I haven't read.

As for authors, I vote to keep the authors of all stories cited above, plus Acherontia Styx and K.M. Hirosaki. Once again, those I didn't mention are just the ones I haven't read, meaning I cannot fairly vote for or against them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:25:02 PM by Erkhyan » Logged

k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »

I vote for DragonTalon, Reiter, you do know the story has more then one chapter to it?

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »

That's irrelevant. One chapter -- nay, one paragraph, even -- should be (and *is*) enough for a story to make its case. All the other stories stood out within the first chapter paragraph. The only thing that stood out here was the awkwardness of the prose.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »

I have to agree with the no keep on DragonTalon. The prose is way too much of a bumpy ride to be showcased as a good introduction to the site - while the work as a whole gets better as it goes along, most people aren't compulsive "plate-cleaners" like I am and won't continue something that's poorly or awkwardly written.

I know for a fact I want to keep Jacks to Open and Childish Things, as I remember reading those. Dito for KM Hirosaki (and Kyell), on the author list. I can't recall if I've read any of the others, so I can't say much about them.

I may come in and speak for the ones I'm currently unfamiliar with at some later point, but I've got lots to do this week so I don't know that I'd make the deadline.

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

Meow meow, brown cow, any additions, revisions, and unnecessary omissions should be made here and now. Past this day we vote no more, so be a gent, a matador, and spear your answers as you would a boar (whose horns - or tusks, rather - clatter resolutely on the floor), resolve your dilemma then say no more; final answers on the door. OK? D'oh-kay!

- attr. Mark Twain
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »

Oops, must have forgotten to update this when my laptop crashed. Here's the tally of votes; every i stands for a Keep vote, while x is No Keep. One point per Keep, zero for No Keep, simple majority to pass.

Stories:
ColinCougar - A Midsummer's Day Dream (R)  iii 3/3
threetails - The Farmer and the Gorge (G)  ii 2/2
foozzzball - My Brother (PG)  iii 3/3
A Father's Skin (PG)  iii 3/3
Kyell - Jacks To Open (R)  iiii 4/4
Poetigress - Childish Things (PG)  iii 3/3
Quinn Yellowfox - Wastelands (PG)  iii 3/3

Authors:
Acherontia Styx  ii 2/2
ColinCougar  i 1/1
DragonTalon  i xx 1/3
foozzzball  i 1/1
Klisoura  0
Kyell  ii 2
KM Hirosaki  ii 2/2
Wandering Dog  0

All stories/authors in red didn't make the cut. If you have any objections or comments, speak up now or forever hold your peace. Seriously. Tongue

If anyone wants to contribute short one-paragraph write-ups about the stories or authors, please post here. I'll assemble and edit them for the main site, and then we'll have our list. Yay!

Also, I'm planning on having this updated every two months or so, w/c means you may submit new nominations until October 9, 2010. We'll have a two-week voting period right after, which leaves one week for assembly and editing. Okay? Okay.

If you've got any questions or suggestions on how to better oil this system, by all means, speak up! We... well, *I* want to hear from you, because this list is for you, dear reader! If I get disgruntled or fed up with the machinery, I'll be taking my anger out on your eyes! Hahahahaha!... haha!... ha ha... ha.... @.@

EDIT: I'm working out the mechanics for re-submission, but you may of course resubmit previously failed works or authors. Just not yet. Grin
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:43:43 PM by Reiter » Logged

- attr. Mark Twain
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »

Also, this is something of a one-man show right now, so maybe some of you would like to help out. Just saying.

- attr. Mark Twain
The Ghost Tigress

Be nice or I'll sick my holy flying wombats on you

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 07:00:31 PM »

o.o
I'll get to reading when my eyelids don't feel like they weigh a few tons. 

Though I might be just a tad bit bias >.>

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  ~William Wordsworth

Love is the only force strong enough to build entire kingdoms, yet gentle enough to heal the most pained of hearts.  Please, help me heal. ~L. Rosenburg
Sneeze

It might not make any sense now, but it will

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »

If I may, I'd like to nominate JonasB's Account 273-J, http://www.furrag.com/viewstory.php?sid=1089.  Non-yiffy, not really too violent, according to the author it's PG-13, and it's some damn fine storytelling. 

"I had never before thought of how awful the relationship must be between the musician and his instrument.  He has to fill it, this instrument, with the breath of life, his own.  He has to make it do what he wants it to do."  --Baldwin, "Sonny's Blues"
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »

Yep, just keep 'em coming in. I'll update the main list in a while.

- attr. Mark Twain
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

Right, this is ridiculous, but gotta do it all the same.

Vote to either keep or no keep on:
Account 273-J by JonasB

Get your votes in before October 23, peepel! Getcher botes in!

- attr. Mark Twain
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »

It was good, and I liked the style. It didn't quite do it for me, but it's well executed and the ending is awesome. So, since there are relatively few entries on the list, I'll extend a yes vote for this one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: