FurRag forums
August 17, 2017, 11:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you planning (or thinking about) the Nano this year?  (Voting closed: November 05, 2010, 03:00:04 PM)
Yes, I'm going to do it - 3 (50%)
I'm considering it - 1 (16.7%)
No, I'm not that crazy - 0 (0%)
Jellyroll and coffee - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2010  (Read 1898 times)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »

Just ten days to the starting line!

A reminder. National Novel Writing Month (which really ought to be called International now) is coming up in just over a week. Masochism or not, I plan to participate again, and I hope others will be joining me. It's a lot of fun, and you might even come out of it with a good chunk of writing completed.

Here's how it works.

Go to the official website and register as a participant. There is no charge for participation. If you've "done the NaNo" before, you will probably find that you are still registered from your previous visits.

At 12:00 am on November 1 (your local time) you can begin writing. Planning and outlining in advance is permitted, but no actual writing until the starting bell. You have until midnight on November 30 to complete at least 50,000 words in draft form. Do that, and you are a winner. It takes 1,667 words a day to make the deadline. You may write in any language you choose, though the vast majority of works are done in English.

Much merriment can be associated with the process. There are discussion forums, local groups that meet in person, pep talks, and even a podcast. You are encouraged to post samples either on the NaNo site itself or elsewhere. I hope some of you will do as I have done in the past, and post your draft here on FurRag so we can all see it as it develops.

Several award-winning novels have been finished and published as a result of the NaNo. The one that most immediately comes to mind for me is Sarah Gruen's best-selling work, Water for Elephants, which she wrote for the NaNo, then completed and polished for publication.

I've participated for the last five years, and finished the 50K words before the deadline in three of those. It's a wonderful writer's exercise and I've enjoyed it every time. If there is interest, we can create a special series that any NaNo participant can post their excerpts into. FurRag was initiated just in time for the NaNo back in 2005. I signed up for both sites at the same time, and I'm still here.

Anyone else planning to join in the fun?

P.S. Here's a link to my participant page. If you decide to have a run at it, feel free to post your link to this thread so we can all follow each other.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:20:39 PM by Altivo » Logged

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:02:19 PM »

I'm not joining this year - Lord knows I've already got enough on my plate - but I'll be writing out a few stories at the tire-burning rate of 500 words per day. XD Yes, I know. Pathetic. Hopefully next year I'll be in better shape. Then I can try my hand at some writer's cramps. :3

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »

Actually I'd say 500 words a day is a very good goal if you try to stick with it. It will keep your brain in the game so it doesn't go flabby and all that.  Grin

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »

I'm tempted to have a go this year, but I'll probably keep the results to myself. I'm quite certain I could type out 50,000 words of crap, but my problem has always been going somewhere with what I write. I guess I'm no pantser, even though I love the idea of that style of writing. Whenever I've started pantsing things tend to just fizzle out. But hey, it's better than writing nothing, which is where I'm stuck at right now.

*Has a coffee and listens to Jellyroll Morton*
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:08:36 PM by Jacky » Logged
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »

By all means, give it a try. You don't have to be that spontaneous, in fact. You can start plotting and outlining right now if you like. You just can't  count any words written before the starting gun.

No requirement to share your work either. You can still be on the FurRag team as long as you sign up at the NaNo site and agree to it. (You can't register for the team yet as we haven't agreed to create one, so by all means, sign up as a NaNo participant now, but hold off the "Get Sponsored!!" option until we have a team. They want you to select a team when you complete the sponsorship forms, or else be an individual with no team.

-
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »

Okay, here we go. As I mentioned though, I have two stories I'm equally interested in working on, but can't decide which one to choose... I'll accept any idea or opinion that would help me in that harrowing choice Wink

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

Check the "FurRag Team Nano" thread in this board for details on getting sponsored and joining our "Furries for Literacy" team. It's optional, but I think it will add some fun to the whole process and anything we manage to pick up in donations will go to a good cause.

-
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »

I have created an open series (collection) called NaNoWriMo 2010. Anyone who is posting excerpts or sections of this year's NaNo work can attach their pieces to that series. Good luck, everyone.

-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: