FurRag forums
June 29, 2017, 08:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FurRag Team NaNo?  (Read 3242 times)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »

There's a new twist to the NaNo for 2010. You can sign up donors to sponsor your writing. All donations go to the young writers programs and intenational library and literacy programs of The Office of Letters and Light. They are tax deductible in the US. Individual writers who choose to participate can encourage friends and family to make small donations (as little as $10) to their total amount raised.

Participants can also join a fund-raising team to have their totals included in the team's score as well as their own. We could have a Furry Writers' team, or even a FurRag team. Is there any interest? If there are at least three of us, I'll create such a team. If not, I'll just go it as a solo participant. Let me know by October 28 at the latest, please.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »

Oooh, I like that idea! Cheesy I bugged our ML to make one for Sweden, but... >.>

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

OK, the team has been created. There was not any furry team yet identified, so I chose the name "Furries for Literacy" in case we might attract others to join in.

If you go to your NaNo page and then choose "Get Sponsored" from the Donations/Store menu, you can follow through and sign up to collect pledges. When the option comes up to join a team, say that you want to join a team and then choose "Furries for Literacy" from the list. Follow through with the rest of the registration process. It is best to use the same e-mail you used when you registered for the NaNo itself, and the same password, as the two sites are linked and you'll be constantly logging off and in otherwise. You'll be asked to set a personal goal for the amount you hope to get your sponsors to donate. A reasonable guess for most of us is $100, but you will be able to change it later if you wish, apparently.

You'll end up with a page that tracks donations made in your name, and the total collected by the team. Each donation made to sponsor you will be added to both your own total and that of the team. The donation tracking page offers options for sending e-mails to friends and relatives telling them what you're doing and how to make a donation. You can also send e-mails to other NaNo participants inviting them to join the Furries for Literacy team.

There are some rough edges on the web site yet and it's not always easy to find stuff, so shout if you have trouble. Book mark your donation tracking page when it comes up, and you'll be in good shape.

If someone wants to give you a check personally, they have instructions for that. Myself, I prefer to avoid handling any money and don't really want to know who gave what, so I plan to urge folks to use PayPal or a credit card and go through the website. The e-mail approach is good because it gives them a link to follow. You may want to customize the message so they'll know it really is from you and not some kind of scam, though.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »

Done joining the team! Now, to bed. Roll Eyes

Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »

Yay! Glad to have you aboard. Sleep well.

-
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:54 PM »

I won't join the team this year, because I'm a NaNo "rebel": I'm going attempt 50k words, but in terms of unconnected short stories. I'm not sure I have a longer work in me just yet.

Good luck to everyone taking part Smiley
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »

Short stories are perfectly legit, as long as they meet the requirements: Total of 50K words from Nov. 1 to Nov. 30; all new work. (If you write a continuation or expansion of a prior start, you can't count the words that were already written down.)

I think you should sign up. No one is going to make a public issue of it.

-
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »

It's just that I thought it was technically kind of cheating to write 50k but not as a novel (they say it's about writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time).  But hey, if y'all'll forgive me that, I'll sign up Tongue
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »

Nothing to forgive. I'm sure somewhere in the official discussion in the past it said that collected short stories were fine, so join us. The more the furrier, so to speak.  Grin

-
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »

OK, I'm there! No idea how much work it will be to write 1666 words a day, but looking forward to finding out.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »

The key for your first try is that you need to suppress the urge to go back and edit. Wait to do that after November 30. Instead, just keep forging ahead.

The other thing that I find will help is to get ahead of the quota early on. Then when you have a bad day you still aren't behind and won't get discouraged. I try to aim for 2000 words a day in the first couple of weeks. That helps tremendously.

-
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:04:13 AM »

*sigh* Not going good. 500 words in two days, with 200 of them lost to "wrote myself into an inescapable corner". Thankfully, Chris managed to get me out of that (I almost rage-quit, but he talked me out of it), and hopefully I can get to write more regularly and more easily now. I'll be happy if I hit even the 10,000 word mark by the end of the month.

quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

I've got three separate quotas, just to avoid the situation that ruined me the first number of years I tried.

Writing on ahead is good in theory, but in practise, for me, if I know I can miss a day or two without falling behind, I'll end up procrastinating and miss three or four, because, hey, I wrote that much ahead before, so I can always catch up later.

My spreadsheet, thus, tracks all three of the following:
How many (more) words do I need to get an average of (at least) 2000/day?
How many (more) words do I need to have 1667 new words for the day?
How many (more) words do I need to maintain the average I've established so far?

Since the only one I can get ahead of is the first, that spurs me on to get more and more done, or at least not lose the progress I've made so far. I've also found that as we get later in the month, my dislike of decimals sometimes gets me to write more than I otherwise would as I try to get the daily average to be an integer. Neat and tidy, damn you! Wink

One of my main characters is turning into more and more of a bitch with these first few chapters, though.

Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

@Erk: Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble! I struggled up to 750 on the first evening and I didn't get anything done last night because I was out most of the evening.

I think it would help for next year if I have a plot plan about what I'm going to write. But even then - kudos to all you who really can crank out 2000 words a day. It's a lot harder than I imagined.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »

I know you can all do it. But don't beat yourselves up over it, no matter what. The most important thing is to keep writing. If you get behind, keep writing. I find that there's a point somewhere in there at which you are likely to catch fire and just pour out a lot of words faster than you ever knew you could manage.

The next most important thing is to remember you are writing a rough draft. Don't throw away those 200 words, Erk. They still count. You will edit later, and they may get cut out. But for right now, the goal is just getting words on paper. Bits that seem to have failed may eventually be morphed into something else when you start revising. Don't revise now, though. Use your time to increase the word count.

I learned last year that things don't have to be written in order. If you need to, jump to something you know you can write. The pages can be reshuffled and patched up in the first revision. I wrote the ending to last year's story shortly after I started. This gave me a reminder of how the various threads needed to come together, and bolstered the word count when I had difficulties.

If you feel a need to plot things out and haven't yet done so, go ahead and do it. Count the words in the outline or summary or whatever. Every word counts.

-
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: