FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 05:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Acting Out' Story Scenes In Real Life  (Read 2355 times)
Lutrina Lontra
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:47:08 AM »

Whenever I sit down to write a scene, no matter what it is or how important it is to the story, sometimes the unthinkable happens: I can't figure out what to write.

Frustrating. As. Hell.

Of course, if I'm in a writing mood, then I know I've gotta do something about this problem. What I've done quite often in the past is simply act out the scene. I stand up, walk away from the computer, and start playing the part of each of the characters. I speak and act like them on the moment, based on what I want to have happen in the scene. Sometimes I'll even carry out the actions as well. For example, if one scene involves a character getting beat up and left crying (say for a high school/college drama story), I'll take out my frustrations (XD) on a pillow, and then switch sides and become the victim.

Then I get up, put the room back in order, sit down, and start writing again. It's a lot harder to do this now as opposed to back in high school because I pretty much had the house to myself during the day, so nobody was around to walk in on me. Now I'm in college, in a small room surrounded by other students, and I have a roommate. Still, I sometimes risk embarrassment by playing out the scene myself as I'm writing or for inspiration.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy. Anybody else around here as crazy as me? ^////^
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:56:26 AM »

I've never resorted to that particular method that I can remember.

What I often do in the same situation is skip to what happens afterward. Frequently that will help me to go back and fill in the segment in between.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:51 AM »

I have done it, especially if trying to figure out when two characters brawl or the like, helps me picture it better.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:06 PM »

When that happens to me, it usually means that I'm asking a character to do something, well, out of character. I was once stuck and asked the POV character why. He pointed out that he was in a crisis and I wanted him to be submissive to another character. He was in a fightin mood, so I re-wrote it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:51:45 PM by Quinn Yellowfox » Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
ramea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 04:12:26 AM »

I've never 'acted out' a scene in one of my stories before per se, however some times if I find myself stuck I will close my computer, sit in my chair, and I will think through the various actions the characters could take over and over, until I have found the actions that best fit them.
(My characters.)
Avoidrupus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »

You're not alone, Lutrina, although if I had the bad case of Writer's Block while I'm jotting a few sentences down in public, I would whip out a deck of Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies and consult whatever card I pull out of the deck as a vantage point for breaking the obstruction. Don't be insane to purchase $60 or more for a deck however.

This is much better.
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

Yeah, you're not crazy at all. This isn't how I get inspiration, it's how I write. I just create each of the characters in my head, and watch them like a movie, writing down what they say and do. That's my entire writing process; just watch a movie in my brainbox, and write down everything that happens. I guess I'm more of a stenographer than a writer.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
tbohn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »

Yeah, you're not crazy at all. This isn't how I get inspiration, it's how I write. I just create each of the characters in my head, and watch them like a movie, writing down what they say and do. That's my entire writing process; just watch a movie in my brainbox, and write down everything that happens. I guess I'm more of a stenographer than a writer.

This is exactly how I write! Of course I fill in the details to help other people picture it when I'm done, but that's generally how it goes. Stories are supposed to show you a little "brain movie" and this process just puts that in reverse! Works for me.
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »

This is exactly how I write! Of course I fill in the details to help other people picture it when I'm done, but that's generally how it goes. Stories are supposed to show you a little "brain movie" and this process just puts that in reverse! Works for me.

The thing that surprises me the most is how neatly the logic works out. I start a story knowing little more than my characters do, yet it all works out in the end somehow.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: