FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrivener  (Read 2418 times)
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »

At the Midwest FurFest, someone introduced me to Scrivener. I wish I could recall his name and I feel ashamed for forgetting.

Anyway, it's a writing tool originally developed for Mac but as of this month, a new edition is available and it's Windows compatable too. Here is a video about it and at the end of the vid is a coupon code for a 20% discount. (The video is sometimes Mac specific) I just started using it and absolutely love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DthBJhBrYs

Is anyone else using it?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:09:21 PM by Quinn Yellowfox » Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:51 AM »

I've never seen it, probably because I avoid Macs like I would avoid poisonous snakes. But I've heard it compared to Q10 and PyRoom, both of which I have here but don't use.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:25:15 AM »

*bookmarks page* This is relevant to my interests.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »

As a warning brought to you by the Swedish NaNo subforum, I'll note that if you use Scrivener for Windows, you should make sure you back up often. Apparently it ate a good chunk of someone's novel.

Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »

I would hope that loosing chuncks of text was either operator error or was a bug that was fixed in the new version. It can be set to automatically back up at certain intervals and you can take "Snapshots" of documents and blocks of text. After doing edits, you can compare the documents side by side and see the changes automatically highlighted. The new build just came out this month.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »

I've tried a few of these, most recently yWriter, and they confused me too much. They have so many features (character bios, motivations, chapter mood, chapter flow, etc, etc...), that I just get lost and go back to good ol' OpenOffice.  Scrivener seems simple enough, but the whole 'crashing' bit is slightly disconcerting.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »

As far as writing programs go, I pretty much stick to WriteMonkey and yWriter5 lately. The former for the actual writing, the latter for organisation afterwards. I also tried Liquid Story Binder (like yWriter, just more confusing), Q10 and Roughdraft before.

tbohn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

Seems quite useful. I don't think it would be the best thing in the world for a short story writer. If you were writing something much longer, it seems like it would make life much easier. I'd definitely want it if I ever tried my hand at a novel!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: