FurRag forums
June 25, 2017, 01:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Talking about Chakat "closed for Chakat lovers."  (Read 11957 times)
Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 01:05:26 AM »

I'm not really good at bouncing off ideas though. Generally I hatch my own ideas with help from a few friends. ArcticWolf451 has been instrumental in helping me write New Beginnings.

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately, it has the habit of killing its pupils.
Dea M Smith

Welcome to my world. The World of Darkness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »

i see i seen his work and he's good all well i'll let you get back to doing part 3 Cheesy I'll i'll read it.

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:07 AM »

Aw, I'm not going to finish it tonight, due to an unforeseen dishes break. It'll be done tomorrow though ASAP.

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately, it has the habit of killing its pupils.
Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 02:24:04 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo O_O Sad all well what are you going to do.

k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:58 AM »

I have actually read the comic in question (thank you 4chan!). As for Chakats, I am going to be honest, it seems a bit strange to me but then again, the whole intersexed/taur thing is not my personal tastes. However, from the guide, the Chakat strikes me a bit Mary Sueish, the being is a bit too perfect, it needs more balancing and some negative traits to counterbalance it's "perfection."

Take the citra, invented by Adam Wan. A negative trait is that it must feed on certain fruit or it will grow ill/die.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »

Huh HUH? I'm sorry But I dont get it. should i google Adam Wan.  or can you tell me about it sorry Cheesy

k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:35 AM »

Huh HUH? I'm sorry But I dont get it. should i google Adam Wan.  or can you tell me about it sorry Cheesy
Adam Wan http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Adam_Wan
Created these gay as can be critters

As for character balancing, I mean the Chakat is too perfect, much like Edward Cullen from twilight is perfect. his perfect eyes, his perfect face, every third sentence in the twilight series, etc. The level of perfection is unrealistic to the point of losing the suspension of disbelief from the reader.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:14:00 AM by k9k » Logged

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »

Of course the chakats are Mary Sue-ish. All of Doove's protagonists (and there's very few, if any, chakat antagonists in his stories) are Mary Sue-ish. His notion of conflict often consists of "identify problem, apply quick-and-to-the-point solution, everyone's happy now let's have sex." Which is why his work is alright as long as it's a series of domestically-centered shorts, but More Terrible Than Chains (novel-length, with a supposed central conflict) was a huge let-down where everything was so pat and perfect as to seriously strain plausibility.

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »

I see but in this world dont you want something so  perfect that goes well with the not so  perfect? and i hate the  twilight  moives. I'm more of a final fantasy and for that  sephiroth is  perfect. from his eyes that are Light Green with a glow, the mark of a soldier, his perfect face, his long silver hair and well bluid body. But going back to furry things whats the big deal on having lets all be hippy happy and have sex? if life was like that then we all be happy.

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

You all do have a point, and I see that Chakats are somewhat Mary-Suish, but I love them all the same. Now that I look closely, I do see that they are rather "perfect", but they were created to be perfect. To experienced writers this would be a no no, but to the public that reads them they are very appealing in their own way. And many people do like identity crisis conflict and there's nothing to say that there couldn't be stories written that can place them in other conflicts.

Bernard Doove's stories are one of the main things that got me into furrydom, and though I know they aren't perfect and that Mary-sue tends to creep in, I still find them very well written. Beyond criticizing them, you all can find their good properties too, right?

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »

I may not nkow what mary-sue is but I do get what your saying but I kind of like that., and tell me some of the stories of this Bernard Doove

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »

A mary-sue is a "perfect" character, with no weaknesses or shortcomings at all. And Bernard Doove is the CREATOR of chakats, and the creator of the Chakat's Den site.

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 06:36:21 PM »

yea i just google it. Cheesy and i'm trying to find a free site where i can read one of his books Life's dream. but i haven't been able to Cheesy so hows part 3 coming along?

quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »

The Chakat's Den got me into furry erotica (hell, erotica in general, along with the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel which, coincidentally, is also populated by Mary-Sues), and I appreciate it for sentimental reasons if nothing else. As I said, as long as Doove sticks to telling slice-of-life stories, he doesn't do half bad at it. The problem comes when you try to write plot that way; I've got More Terrible Than Chains sitting in my bookshelf somewhere and if anything the poor book gets worse on every re-read. (It's not more than nominally about identity crisis, btw, it's about how the chakats solve every problem the main character has with a twitch of the tail and break a lifetime of conditioning in an afternoon. The latter isn't even an exaggeration.)

Does it have its good points? Yes, definitely. Doove is one of the few writers I've seen who uses (at least in that particular work - there's a short story by him where as I recall it's handled the same as in far too many furry stories) heat/rut as a plot device in a sensible manner, having the characters who suffer from it try to control their exposure to people they wouldn't want to get it on with and/or situations which would trigger sexual behavior they might regret. That doesn't change the fact that by the end of the story, every character flaw that hasn't been eliminated has been turned into a perk.

That's not to say people can't or shouldn't enjoy Doove's work (as I said, I have), or playing with chakats. Just that, honestly, perfection is better when it's something to strive for than when it's already present.

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

i been reading Doove's  work lifs dream and i'm on part 8: and it's real good. he tells you in a way that you are a part of it but they dont see you like a ghost watching someone having sex or a spy trying to end a war.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: