FurRag forums
August 18, 2017, 01:19:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Talking about Chakat "closed for Chakat lovers."  (Read 12112 times)
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 02:58:04 AM »

I raised the issue because, as pointed out, perfect is alright for short stories but on novels, perfect is boring or insulting to the reader.

It's the flaws that make a character awesome. Take Dracula, immortal blood sucker with thrall gaze and shape shifting abilities. However, he dies in sunlight or if he is staked. He granted entrance to cross a threshold.
It's stuff like this which makes me love the Dresden files. I mean, the main character is a powerful wizard yet lives in a crappy apartment trying to make rent every month!

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 03:03:23 AM »

The Chakat's Den got me into furry erotica (hell, erotica in general, along with the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel which, coincidentally, is also populated by Mary-Sues), and I appreciate it for sentimental reasons if nothing else. As I said, as long as Doove sticks to telling slice-of-life stories, he doesn't do half bad at it. The problem comes when you try to write plot that way; I've got More Terrible Than Chains sitting in my bookshelf somewhere and if anything the poor book gets worse on every re-read. (It's not more than nominally about identity crisis, btw, it's about how the chakats solve every problem the main character has with a twitch of the tail and break a lifetime of conditioning in an afternoon. The latter isn't even an exaggeration.)

Does it have its good points? Yes, definitely. Doove is one of the few writers I've seen who uses (at least in that particular work - there's a short story by him where as I recall it's handled the same as in far too many furry stories) heat/rut as a plot device in a sensible manner, having the characters who suffer from it try to control their exposure to people they wouldn't want to get it on with and/or situations which would trigger sexual behavior they might regret. That doesn't change the fact that by the end of the story, every character flaw that hasn't been eliminated has been turned into a perk.

That's not to say people can't or shouldn't enjoy Doove's work (as I said, I have), or playing with chakats. Just that, honestly, perfection is better when it's something to strive for than when it's already present.

My friend is reading the Earth's Children series, though I don't think she knew it was erotica when she first picked it up. xD. But I get what you're saying. I ALWAYS make sure that my Chakonian characters are not Mary-Sue's, and you're welcome to read it to find out. If there is ever a point where they start to become to Suish, PLEASE tell me. That's why I posted my work here, to become a better author. I understand that I am not perfect, but I do my best to try and become a better author. Your input, positive or negative, beneficent or vitriolic, is greatly appreciated and taken to heart.

Writing is my passion. I may have only become familiar in the art of painting with words a year ago, but I pour my soul into it. I see it as not only an outlet of creativity, but a way to challange myself, every story is like a quiz. I canvass my mind for the correct words, try to arrange them in a suitable fashion and in a syntax that rolls pleasurably across the mind like a rich truffle. It's hard work, I realize that now, but I do everything I can. The more criticism I get, the more I learn, simple as that.

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately, it has the habit of killing its pupils.
Dea M Smith

Welcome to my world. The World of Darkness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »

well i may not be the best to ask but i will always say what i got to say and i think so for your work is good.

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »

okay a few things. I read part 3 and was a bout sad that they didn't do it there then was like what the F!! HE's a full blown god lover and waits for wedlock. but that was something new and never seen it done before so it was okay. but from the way you made it i see a 3 way coming soon. But thats me. lol So when i was done reading that i read Tales of the Foxtaur Clans #6: Unexpected Attractions The Story of Pandora & Karl, part one all the way to Tales of the Foxtaur Clans #14: Life's Dream Excerpts from the journal of Pandora & Karl, part 9. I was ad and cryed a bit at the end but got over it. Cheesy it was well made and to any furry lover should read it.  But moving on is there any other site then The Chakat's Den? i'm starting to it into it. Cheesy

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »

okay a few things. I read part 3 and was a bout sad that they didn't do it there then was like what the F!! HE's a full blown god lover and waits for wedlock. but that was something new and never seen it done before so it was okay. but from the way you made it i see a 3 way coming soon. But thats me. lol So when i was done reading that i read Tales of the Foxtaur Clans #6: Unexpected Attractions The Story of Pandora & Karl, part one all the way to Tales of the Foxtaur Clans #14: Life's Dream Excerpts from the journal of Pandora & Karl, part 9. I was ad and cryed a bit at the end but got over it. Cheesy it was well made and to any furry lover should read it.  But moving on is there any other site then The Chakat's Den? i'm starting to it into it. Cheesy

Romance doesn't involve senseless yiff Dea. They need to be comfortable with each other before they can do it.

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately, it has the habit of killing its pupils.
Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »

i kind of got that when i read it some more.  But yea your right but i always like a good yiff in a good long story lol

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »

Well, awaiting actual reviews for it now. Can't wait for some thoughts on my writing. I've got nearly 100 views but no reviews yet.

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »

I always tought of it that way but after ready most of the Dens stoies i'm starting to think out side of the box. And your right it's not about. And i gave you some good reviews. I like it. Oh you should take the time to see my work on the site Cheesy

Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »

I always tought of it that way but after ready most of the Dens stoies i'm starting to think out side of the box. And your right it's not about. And i gave you some good reviews. I like it. Oh you should take the time to see my work on the site Cheesy

Your views are appreicated, but I'm looking for more in depth insight into my style of writing and characters.

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »

I'll try to review your story this week or next. Right now, I'm going through a bad spell, and I just promised to crit another person's novel draft so I'm not taking on anything else until that's done. But I started reading what you have a couple of days ago, and the stuff I want to say is already semi-agglutinated, so let me finish this and then I'll be with you pronto.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

"agglutinated?"

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »

I would have said "congealed", but that bears too many connotations of dried blood and oil... not exactly the most appetizing choice of words. "Agglutinate" is nice and mediciney and neutral, just clumps of nebulous thought coalescing and ebbing and swelling into a whole. But you get the picture, I hope.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Yukigo Kurosaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »

Ah, I get it. So you're saying little amorphous pieces of your thoughts have already been said about it, just not joined together?

Dea M Smith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »

lol ok i say sorry then but looking ti see more from you Cheesy good luck i'm off to the den to read some more.

k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 02:10:43 AM »

I would have said "congealed", but that bears too many connotations of dried blood and oil... not exactly the most appetizing choice of words. "Agglutinate" is nice and mediciney and neutral, just clumps of nebulous thought coalescing and ebbing and swelling into a whole. But you get the picture, I hope.
I would have gone with condensed, denotes turning into a singular solid mass or pile.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: