FurRag forums
July 20, 2017, 10:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Publishing on Kindle: Is it worth it?  (Read 2260 times)
Lutrina Lontra
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »

Per suggestion from my dad, I got an account with Amazon so I could publish electronic versions of my stories for Kindle. I figured it's an easy, cheap way to get my stories out there and maybe make a little cash on the side. My question to you guys is simple: Is it worth it? How should I go about promoting them if I do it? Will furs actually buy them? Just wondering what your opinion on this is.
quoting_mungo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »

I don't know what you write, but it's worth noting that Amazon recently pulled small-press stories that had been published for Kindle, due to incestuous content. (Yet they still list Virginia Andrews's work, go figure...) If you write erotica, I wouldn't take the risk, as I imagine your potential readers might direct some of their frustration at you if Amazon deletes your work from their e-readers.

Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »

You might want to have a look at Smashwords too. They seem to have a good system and can make your work available in other formats besides Kindle, such as Nook and MobiPocket. They do not apply DRM to their distributions.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »

@quoting_mungo: I don't write erotica, so that won't be an issue for me.

@Altivo: Alrighty, I'll check that out. ^^

EDIT: Okay, now I have an account on Smashwords and one of my stories is up for download. Big thanks to you, Altivo, for showing me that site!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:20:06 AM by Lutrina Lontra » Logged
King_Monkey_666

This pic feels unfinished...REDO!!! XD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »

Hmm...Smashwords...That's for finished stories, right?
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

Yes. Smashwords is actually a marketing site. It lets you sell your stories in various digital formats for a price you set. They take a small percentage, and you get the rest of the value as Paypal cash. I haven't actually sold through it, but I've bought stuff. It seems to work well. Of course, it's up to you to advertise and promote your work once you put it up there.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »

Publishing electronically is only good if you can market yourself well. Otherwise, only a few people will know about your books. What a publisher does, besides printing books, is advertise. A place like SofaWolf will take your book to cons, put it on their website, and talk about it in any interviews they give. Having said that, you don't really have anything to lose with a place like Amazon or Barnes and Noble, so there's no reason not to give it a shot.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: