FurRag forums
August 23, 2017, 02:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wants to be super awesome?  (Read 3591 times)
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:20:54 AM »

... And take a look at my story? I've seen a lot of people submitting these formal requests, so I thought I'd do one too. Just curious to see what people think. The story is called Streets of His City. It's actually the only one I have up at the moment, so it isn't hard to find.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »

I think we're all "super awesome."

Maybe we need to beat the bushes and get more folks reviewing. We went through NaNoWriMo and the Holidays. That may have taken it's toll. I'll try to take a look and give feedback.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
foxsome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:46 AM »

That reminds me, NaNoEdMo (http://www.nanoedmo.net/) is coming up soon. Perfect time to start reading and critiquing if you need some impetus!

"Le seul vrai language au monde est un baiser." -Alfred de Musset
Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »

Awesome! Thank you!

-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:29 AM »

Thank you for taking a look at my story.
I posted a response on my page, but I'm not sure if it actually alerts you in any way, so I'll just put it up here.

I have a question about the bath scene:

What if the answer is 'nothing'? Natier was sitting in the bathtub and relaxing; personally, at times like this, I try not to think of anything at all. Also, he IS shallow. He is an a-hole who enjoys ordering people around for no other reason than because he can do so and get away with it. That's a big part of the story, because it will later come back to haunt him. Also, I did give a tiny hint as to why he became more of a snob than usual "Natier said; it felt good to command again. Better, in fact, than it ever felt."
Maybe it was a bit too subtle.

The technical issues, I WILL sort out. I just haven't swept the thing enough.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:12:22 AM by Alflor » Logged

-Alex Vance

foxsome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

All good Smiley I'm just offering my perspective as a reader, it's up to you whether you think they're issues worth addressing. In response to the answer "nothing," though, my question would be: why is it in the story then?

Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:20:04 AM »

Just story flow.This story is meant to explain why he is so screwed up, and I'd hate to just throw him straight into the first conflict. It sort of builds. The conflicts get bigger and bigger until the climax. Although, I know that the general advice is to make the story tighter, so it might be a bit much.

-Alex Vance

Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:22:15 AM »

On a side note: please don't think I'm not listening to your opinion; I really am. I'm just trying to justify what I did and why.

-Alex Vance

Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »

I should explain myself better, I think.
When I tried writing a very heavily conflict-driven story, a lot of replies I received said that the story seemed rushed. They said that the character hopped from conflict to conflict, without taking the time to properly establish things. I think I've struck a pretty good balance in another story I'm writing, but maybe this one isn't quite fast-paced enough.

-Alex Vance

Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

I posted a response on my page, but I'm not sure if it actually alerts you in any way, so I'll just put it up here.

If you have it set up that way, you get notified of author replies through email.

(Oh and I have some comments for you on your story but it might take me a day or two to get round to posting, is all)
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »

To paraphrase the venerable Orwell: all critiques are opinion, but some are more opinionated than others. Smiley

That said, it's always good to justify what you're doing to yourself -- I mean, justify to yourself what you're doing, not justify the masochistic rituals you do to get good output. It's your story, after all, and you can't please everyone. You'll also notice, as you already have, that readers/reviewers will have some overlap, some points which they all address in common, and those are the issues you'll definitely have to sort out. In that case, listen to them, because those are points you'll definitely have to address. That's kind of a problem now for FurRag, bec. most of our reviewers vanished into college or NaNoWriMo or January the First and never returned (yet). Hopefully that'll rectify itself over the summer. Maybe your letter will help things along, hmm?

Umm, yeah. I have no idea now what point I was trying to make. Maybe I should just shut up and do some real writing. *hides nose in desk*

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
foxsome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:11 PM »

On a side note: please don't think I'm not listening to your opinion; I really am. I'm just trying to justify what I did and why.

Oh boy. Smiley

Let me kind of expand on what Reiter just said. Don't justify to me; justify to yourself. You requested critique, and I gave it. If you don't listen to it, you won't hurt my feelings. Just do what you think is right for you so that you can become a better writer. Do question everything. Just because I or anyone else offered critique doesn't necessarily mean we're right, and nothing is correct in all contexts.

Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:39 AM »

*sigh* I'm sorry I have been so difficult, everyone. I'm new to this whole thing; writing, critiquing, being critiqued... These are all things I have yet to properly tap into. I'm trying, though, I really am. I wouldn't be writing 5-10K words every day if I wasn't. Thank you for being so patient with me.

-Alex Vance

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »

Don't fret, everybody's difficult in the beginning*. Just go along with the flow and get a feel for how things are done. In a couple months, you'll be writing, reviewing, and accepting critiques like you didn't think possible. It's a never-ending process; according to a well-known saying that I made up just half a minute ago, you're only as good as your ego allows yourself to be.

I would say the most important thing in dealing with critiques of *any* sort is: BE HONEST. This is not an ego contest. You came here to realize an artistic vision, we are here to tell you whether you achieved that in our individual perspectives. Critique isn't meant to deflate your ego (though it may, for some exceptions) - it points out what we perceive are flaws in your vision. Only you know whether these "flaws" really hinder the message you want to convey, so you have to choose which criticisms to accept or reject. But be honest with yourself - don't reject a good piece of advice because the person who gave it is a jerk or (you think) is constantly trying to tear down. Likewise, don't accept bad advice blindly or feel guilty about rejecting it. Hemingway himself may be critiquing, with decades of experience and God-knows-how-many awards at his back, but if his critique doesn't help you achieve your artistic goal, or tries to shape it into something in his style, no amount of renown can turn that into good advice.

tl;dr - foxsome is right and is awesome for using so few words where I had to deploy an entire paragraph.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
foxsome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »

Well, I am the queen of efficiency, or so I'm told. Wink

And don't worry about it, Alflor... we're all here to support each other!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: