FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:47:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wants to be super awesome?  (Read 3545 times)
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »

Hey Aflor,

Read the boilerplate/frot page of the site. The only thing harder than getting a real honest critique is giving one. The first crit I got was from my writing mentor. It was so harsh that I almost puked on my shoes. ("Oh, my Gawd! If I didn't like you, I would have thrown this in the trash after the first paragraph..." and that was the good part.)

There are several threads here about giving crit. http://forum.furrag.com/index.php/topic,499.0.html One person will hate something and another will love it. Crit is opinion. Take what works, discard what doesn't. As an exercise, I was made to re-write a 90 word flash fiction 11 times. When it was done I thought it was crap, but I learned a lot. Mostly that I don't have to listen to every suggestion. (I think my mentor was doing that Zen thing to me.)

Writers need thick skins. Wait until an editor or agent rips you apart. *Cackles maniacally*

Read some of the crit threads and think about it. Then pick a story at random and try your hand. It will give you a much better perspective on writing. Giving crit is one of the best tools there is for improving your writing. It's an eye opener. You have to look at yourself in the mirror when you do.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: