FurRag forums
July 20, 2017, 10:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff You Won't Read  (Read 5299 times)
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »

I should point out the great gatsby was written without a single E in it.

I don't read the absurdly fantasy stuff, like twilight. Ya, like a 600 year old sparkling vamp will lose his virginity to homely annoying highschooler.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »

I should point out the great gatsby was written without a single E in it.
Um, there's already an "e" in the title... and in the very first sentence. However, I can say with certainty that "The Great Gatsby" has not a single "ö" in it. Or an "ß", for that matter.

Lutrina/Justin/What-is-it-with-people-and-changing-names, I do think it's all right to go on about artsiness here. It *is* relevant to the discussion, and besides, there really aren't that many people here who'd invest that much time to clog up a thread with pointless internet debates such that it would need to be separated into a different page. We can still afford to save space (unless you're planning to organize a party here at some point Wink ).

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »

What, I've only changed my name twice in the last two years. XD

Meh, good point. The pointless internet debates are unavoidable no matter what thread they end up in, though.
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 01:40:42 AM »

What, I've only changed my name twice in the last two years. XD
You have? Smiley Who were you before you were Lutrina?

Meh, good point. The pointless internet debates are unavoidable no matter what thread they end up in, though.
Such is the nature of discourse. See, even now, we are derailing our own thread.

And the Lord said, Behold, they make a thread that is neat and tidy, and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to discuss.
Therefore let us go to, and there confound them with small talk and internet memes, that they may be distracted and derail their own conversation.
And the Lord patted Himself on the back and said, Aren't I so clever.
And thus was born Internet-specific Attention Deficit Disorder, which scattered the focus of internet debaters across the face of the Earth.
[/lame humor generated at 2 in the morning]

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:05:38 AM »

Well, my first real fursona was a dragon named Suiraqua. Last September I went with the otter named Lutrina Lontra. Recently I decided not to use any fursona and go with my given name. Just a matter of personal preference.

As for thread derailing, I've been on many an internet forum. I'm used to it. XP
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:31 AM »

I'm trying to remember the last thread that didn't drift away after 5 or so posts. This one is doing pretty good. It's still pretty close to being on subject.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »

it's actually kind of funny, the sole reason I use a fursona is because it is socially expected in the fandom

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
King_Monkey_666

This pic feels unfinished...REDO!!! XD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »

Hmm...

Not quite sure if my monkey character (the one in my pic) a fursona or not. For now, I'd say he's a prototype at the most, but if I ever get to drawing again, he'll turn out better...

Eh...Still not entirely sure, though.  Undecided  Lips sealed  Undecided
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 04:53:21 AM »

@k9k: That was my thinking. People keep asking me if it's smart using my real name in the fandom. I dunno if I am or not, but I do know that my real name isn't gonna change nearly as much as whatever fursona name I happen to come up with. XP
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »

The use of the real name and picture are not very safe practices. On behalf of all trolls, I can tell you that, using your real name and picture, I can find out just about anything about you online.

Hence why I use a handle that is easy to remember and a picture because, well, a lot of people link a certain avatar to a certain user.

H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:10 AM »

The use of the real name and picture are not very safe practices. On behalf of all trolls, I can tell you that, using your real name and picture, I can find out just about anything about you online.

Hence why I use a handle that is easy to remember and a picture because, well, a lot of people link a certain avatar to a certain user.
Trolls have access to the name and picture, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll stalk you straightaway. I mean, you'd have to be pretty darn important/uncool to warrant that sort of attention. Trolls are, I think, like muggers - they go after certain personality types and certain people. Unless you deliberately go posting idiotic crap on trolled forums, chances are you won't fall into their target group, so it all boils down to the same thing. If Justin here wants to use his real name, let him. He'll be doing that anyway when he becomes a published writer. Nothing lost.

Personally, the reason I have this indeterminate avatar and this indeterminate horse picture above my name is because I really can't tie myself down to one specific animal yet. I'm partial towards canines, but other times I feel like a cat or a hoss, and some people have even said I'd make a good fox. Rather than conjure up twenty different incarnations of myself and risk suffering MPD, I thought it better to not specify my animal and to shade myself under this one-size-fits-all name. Maybe I'll grow into one of them later on. We'll see.

- attr. Mark Twain
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 02:52:30 AM »

@k9k: Considering how many people out there have their real names and pictures all over the place, people who are far more well known than me, I'd be surprised someone would single me out. I'm generally careful about what I say anyway. XP

@Reiter: I agree with the published writer part. I feel it's easier to relate to an author who has a real name as opposed to a pseudonym. I also make an effort to write stories that furs and non-furs can read and enjoy, so using a fursona and a character name is not in my best interest as far as reaching out to non-furs.
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 03:22:16 AM »

the use of a Nome De Plume is a time honored writing tradition.

H. L. Mencken
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 03:24:14 AM »

Fuck tradition. XP
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 03:26:21 AM »

I think it's the same either way, really. The thing is, whoever you are when you write your stories is who those stories will become attached to when they become famous. Does that make sense? I mean, in the beginning, it doesn't really make any difference if you're writing as Eric Arthur Blair or George Orwell, or Charles Lutwidge Dodgson or Lewis Carroll. People identify with the stories more than the name, I think. Eventually they come to associate those types of stories with the name, which is why if you want to write other kinds of stories and be judged fairly (i.e. not be automatically praised because of your name), you'll have to make up some silly name like Richard Bachman anyway.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It's late and I'm feeling happily woozy. I guess what I'm saying is: do what you want to, but don't think that people will pay less attention because you're using a pseudonym (they don't know you're using a pseudonym, unless it's a crappy, blatantly furry pseudonym). There, that sounded about right.

*rolls sideways off the bench and snoozes on the rug*

- attr. Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: