FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff You Won't Read  (Read 5274 times)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »

Reiter has a valid point. I was a published writer before deciding to write for furry audiences. I also had a recognized furry presence under a fursona name well before deciding to write furry material. So the furry pseudonym builds on the known furry identity, which makes some degree of sense. My real identity is not seriously "hidden" and I'm not concerned about that.

Many popular and successful authors write under more than one name to distinguish between different genres in their writing. Nora Roberts writes romance and suspense under that name, but uses J. D. Robb for mysteries with a science fiction element, for example. Barbara Mertz is a serious Egyptologist who writes popular Egyptian history works, but uses the name Elizabeth Peters for mysteries set in early 20th century Egypt. You can find lots of similar examples.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »

The other thing I like about using my name as opposed to a fursona is the consistency. Character names change with the tides and I'm no exception. My given name isn't likely to change, and that's what I want.

And yeah, I'm aware of authors using different names for different material. I don't see anything wrong with jumping around genres. If readers started writing me off (no pun intended) as a drama author, I'd take that as a sign to change what I'm writing about. I hate being pigeonholed and stereotyped; if nothing else, I'd like to be seen as an author who experiments. Of course, this assumes I'll ever BE that well known. XD
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

If readers started writing me off (no pun intended) as a drama author, I'd take that as a sign to change what I'm writing about. I hate being pigeonholed and stereotyped; if nothing else, I'd like to be seen as an author who experiments. Of course, this assumes I'll ever BE that well known. XD

That's very true. When I wrote "Stasis", some of my readers didn't react well. I received some dozen emails comprised chiefly of people saying how much they love my old stuff and how this new story rubs them the wrong way. Now I kinda want to write more stories like this, if only to piss them off. >=)

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

Not having read your old work, I can't say. However I will say that, when I saw Stasis on the front page again, I literally couldn't stomach reading it again even to review cuz it just... It was too much. It wasn't bad, but my god it was heavy and tough to stomach. XP
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »

Yeah, but -- for people who like it-- that's the whole point. The point of stories like this, and Lovecraft does it best, is to leave you feeling weak and sick to your stomach. It makes you question exactly what hope is and why we continue to cling to it even when we know it's nothing but an illusion. And since writing is about manipulating people's emotions, stories like that do the job well.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »

That's kinda the reason I tend to write darker stories. Besides the fact they act as a vent for my own fears and twisted, depressing ideas (XP), they make for emotionally potent and powerful stories. I love it when people get emotional over something I wrote. To me, that's a compliment. X3
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: