FurRag forums
July 20, 2017, 10:36:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question Involving E-Book Selling  (Read 3856 times)
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »

As stated in another thread somewhere, I don't write furry erotica. I try to write stories that anyone can relate to, furry or not, so hopefully I won't have that problem.
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »

There's no simple answer to that. It depends on the editor and the publisher.

Bad Dog Books and Sofawolf Press have repeatedly said that they will consider and accept material that has appeared online. That doesn't mean that St. Martin's Press or DAW Books will do the same.

If you have your sights set on mainstream publication, you might well want to keep your finished material from appearing on open websites such as this one.

However, if you are writing furry erotica, chances are you will need to look to one of the three main furry publishers: Bad Dog, FurPlanet, or Sofawolf. All of them have accepted previously released material in the past and will probably continue to do so.

Agreed.
However, what I meant was posting material online in E-Book format. Since you're already making money for it, the publishers will not be as likely to accept it -- unless they REALLY love it.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

I knew about bad dog, just forgot about them in regards to submissions

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »

Correct, Alflor. If you put stuff up on Smashwords, or through Amazon or B&N in e-book form, you are essentially becoming a self-publisher. Mind, the way things are shifting in the publishing industry, this no longer bears the kiss of death that it once did. Amanda Hocking (like her or not) is making best selling author sales and income entirely from self-published material, and seems to be getting invited to submit to the mainstream publishers now. That's all about self-promotion, which is work, of course.

However, even if you get accepted by a big publishing house, you are likely to have to do that kind of self-promotion now. They only spend big bucks publicizing sure things, not the unknown author with a first run of a few thousand copies.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »

However, even if you get accepted by a big publishing house, you are likely to have to do that kind of self-promotion now. They only spend big bucks publicizing sure things, not the unknown author with a first run of a few thousand copies.
... which is why furry publishing is awesome. If they publish you, they will take your book around to cons, promote it on all the furry podcasts and news outlets, as well as have it readily available on their website.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »

@Quinn: So, if I labeled my online-posted stories as rough drafts, could I avoid publishers not taking them? XP

You're actually touching on a reason to have a pen-name. If your real name is googled by an agent or publisher, they will see much of your work in the fandom. It's not all bad but they'll see a couple of things. The good is that they will see your work and it's reception. The bad is that there is still some stigma about the fandom. Also, some may not want to publish works that may be downloaded for free. You've already picked the low hanging fruit, so to speak.

Having a publisher (i.e. BDB/SofaWolf) that will take your stories and promote books is a great deal. 

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

Relevant discussion on Blogspot here.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: