FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 12:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Writing U-Stream  (Read 2710 times)
Lutrina Lontra
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »

I now have a U-Stream account with a show called 'Time to Write'. When I go on the air, the broadcast will show my desktop as I work on a story. At the same time, I'll be on microphone and able to interact with anyone who wants to stop by and chat. I'm going to offer tips, tricks, and advice to beginners and, of course, will listen to suggestions and ideas provided by more established authors and experts.

I don't have any set time or date for the first broadcast, since I want to know if anyone would be interested in tuning in to something like this. Lemme know if you are or if you have ideas on what else I can do with it!

Here's the link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/time-to-write1
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »

I would! Is this a two-way voice chat or do you alone have the privilege of treating listeners to your melodious speaking tones?

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to put up with my dorky voice. XD I tested it with a friend who had a webcam with microphone and there is no voice chat feature on Ustream that I know of. And if there is, I'd probably have to pay for it anyway. X3
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »

It is possible to implement voice chat for a Ustream session by using Skype. Unfortunately, I can't give you any details because I don't know how it is done. I can only tell you that I was invited to participate in such a session a few weeks ago and it worked. The moderator initiated some sort of Skype conference call, I think, in which he "dialed" out to the participants. My Skype usage has been limited to just a couple of times, so I can't even tell you whether the conference feature is included in free Skype access or is something they require you to buy.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »

In all honesty, a conference call would probably provide more distraction than I could handle. XD I can certainly talk and write at the same time, but having other voices going off in my ears would be a bit much.
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »

I'm amazed that you can write and talk at the same time. I much prefer "no distractions" when trying to write anything serious. That even means no background music.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

Well, if I have the urge to write, I'm gonna write no matter where I am. Yeah, I prefer a quieter environment, but also knowing that the only noise made during the broadcast would be me speaking, and I can speak whenever I damn well please, it's easier to control. As opposed to everyone else being piped into my headset, which I can't really control unless I mute everyone. That would be rude, though. X3
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

I like my Green Day when I write... or Army of Lovers. I just kinda listen to them on a subconscious level, y'know? I wouldn't even call it multi-tasking.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »

well, a guy I watch, Tarol Hunt, uses a text to speech thing so he can draw while listening to the viewers.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »

well, a guy I watch, Tarol Hunt, uses a text to speech thing so he can draw while listening to the viewers.
Yeah, but having Stephen Hawking give me writing tips over headset just sounds like a recipe for me bursting out in bouts of laughter every few minutes and forgetting all about what I'm doing.

You. Should. Say. He. Push. Ed. His. Knot... yeah, I'm already snickering. Bad sign.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:01 AM »

actually, it sounds more like WOPR from the movie WarGames.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:18 PM »

For anyone interested in tuning in, when do you think would be the best day and time to start broadcasting?
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 02:24:39 AM »

Depends on where you are.

Using EST, after 3 pm (school gets out) weekdays

H. L. Mencken
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:14 AM »

I'm in PST, so that's noon. I could do it right after lunch. ^^
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »

Perfect timing then!

H. L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: