FurRag forums
August 23, 2017, 12:31:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Writers, Why Aren't You Writing?  (Read 5860 times)
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »

Okay, so I received a sad bit of news about Sofawolf's publication, New Fables, a few days ago. Apparently, they received so few good stories, that they will not be publishing a 2011 issue. All accepted stories are getting pushed back to 2012. So now, you all have plenty of time to write, edit, proof, etc. your submission before the deadline. Get on that.
Really, I was sort of surprised. I expected the exact opposite -- so many good stories that they had a helluva hard time picking out the best ones.
So all the writers whining about not getting enough exposure... you're welcome.

http://www.newfables.com/newfablessubmissionguidelines
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:06:06 PM by Alflor » Logged

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »

Full time student, sucks up a lot of my time.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »

As am I, sir. And I have a job. In any case, though, you have over a year to write, so lack of time can be crossed off the excuses list.

-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:50:15 AM »

I have a few furry stories that I could send to them. I'll get on that.

EDIT: Okay, I guess my mind didn't wrap around this until just now. SOFAWOLF received so FEW stories that they can't publish a new issue? That... That really surprises me. o_o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:52:42 AM by Justin Moore » Logged
k9k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 04:41:37 AM »

I do plan to get to it, hopefully and I agree, it's like saying the ocean isn't wet anymore!

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:46:23 AM »

From what I heard, they couldn't find enough of what they wanted. They said the slush pile this year was very bleak, and very few stories were publishable. They also said that rather than just releasing what they had for the sake of releasing, they would rather wait 'till next year. You're as surprised as I was.

-Alex Vance

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »

I've been working towards this since January, actually. All I really need is an editor/mentor patient enough to put up with my idiocy and explain what the blazes is wrong with your understanding of perspective? Can't you work that out on your own? One of my first choices backed off, but I got a very generous offer of help from someone I fear may not be able to live up to it in the near future, so gotta get on that pronto!

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Lutrina Lontra
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by perspective...

EDIT: Alflor, where exactly did you hear about this news?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:46:49 AM by Justin Moore » Logged
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »

Oh, you know, perspective shifts, like jumping from one set of characters to another with no obvious reason. There is apparently a certain art to it which at the time of my last real critique I had equally apparently not yet apprehended.

Not related now, but if there's a Stonehenge and a Woodhenge, why hasn't anyone yet built an Apprehenge? Grin

Please don't kill me! I'll stop making horrible jokes in like a century, I swear!

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

Well, this isn't entirely surprising to me. NF's editor seems to be very picky about what they will accept, yet rather inarticulate about explaining what it is they really want. After a couple of rejections, even good writers may give up on a particular publication as not being worth the effort and especially so when the story or poem is unlikely to be marketable elsewhere.

I do think the writers and would-be writers are writing. They just aren't submitting work to NF.

The same thing happened to a proposed issue of ROAR vol. 2 a few years ago, though probably not for the exact same reason. Eventually vol. 2 was issued, but with a different theme than the one originally specified.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:16:05 PM by Altivo » Logged

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by perspective...

EDIT: Alflor, where exactly did you hear about this news?

It's right on their LiveJournal: http://sofawolf.livejournal.com/30820.html

-Alex Vance

k9k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »

so what is this year's theme? I can't find it anywhere because A. They don't update things and B. Navigation is tricky on their sites.

H. L. Mencken
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »

I've been watcing SofasWolf's homepage but it doesn't seem to be updated very often and the only calls for submissions have been for Heat and novel length work.

Now that I know that their other publications seem to have their own websites, I'll keep an eye open there.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Alflor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »

so what is this year's theme? I can't find it anywhere because A. They don't update things and B. Navigation is tricky on their sites.
Nothing. It's just like Heat -- you write whatever you want (so long as it's PG-13) and send it in. If they like it, you get in. Simple. Or not. Depends on how you look at it. I like it, personally. It's your chance to wow them, no holds barred.

-Alex Vance

Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:21 AM »

What the... what happened to Justin? Pulled his stories from here and Sofurry, no contact, no email, no nothing. It's like he ceased to exist.

- attr. Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: