FurRag forums
August 18, 2017, 04:31:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The idea mill  (Read 8009 times)
zeekgenateer

Normality is abnormal. Abnormality is the norm.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »

It's doable, but it would take a major rework of both the story site and the forum.  The work entailed would depend on if there are any good CMS's that have modules written for story sites.  Apart from the actual code work, there would need to be some art design done and the previous forum and story data would need to be copied from the previous data base to the new one.  It would take a lot of work to get it stable.  I'm not sure if its very feasible.

"And the sign said, 'Long haired freaky people, need not apply.'" Fatboy Slim - Don't Fear the Man
My Steam Profile
Currently: Working on end of semester projects
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »

Combining the story archive and the forum would require custom software to be written to replace both. That's what FA and SF have. (Personally I dislike both but...) In any case, we don't have the time or resources required to build the entire site from scratch. The two parts each run on open source software.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Korygon

Need editing done? I'm your otter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:08 PM »

I'm just saying make another forum section where people can make a thread, post a link for their story, and ask for critique.

I run my own little editing company.  Check me out!

"Hi, I have a quote in my signature."
~Smart people
foxsome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:11:47 AM »

^ What Korygon said. I think "rewriting the site from scratch" is over-thinking the problem. Honestly what does the review site do that another forum board couldn't? (I'm asking that in earnest, not rhetorically - the features I've used on the review side of the site personally don't seem to warrant separate software.)

"Le seul vrai language au monde est un baiser." -Alfred de Musset
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:21:23 AM »

Reiter is working on fleshing out the "Scarlet Letters." It's along those lines. That's why he and a couple of others are "Red Pen Wielders." He's been bogged down by RL so the final forum set-up is still pending.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:23:50 AM by Quinn Yellowfox » Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
zeekgenateer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:23 AM »

I don't think having the forum borg the other site is a good idea.  Using a forum as a writing site leads to organization problems.  You'd need a board for stories, and a separate board for reviews, with links from stories to reviews and vice versa.  You would need to lock the story posts to only be edited/replied to by the author (forum software is not written for this, permissions are based on groups).

A good way is to encourage people on the writing site to request more reviews from the forum goers here in a thread or board.  I have refrained from writing a review sometimes because I don't know if the author would want a review that has few positive (ie do not want to crush people's self-esteem unless they ask for it).  Maybe a reworking of the editor/writer/reader boards and what they are for could work.

PS: Don't use the word integrate around programmers concerning different software.  We tend to actually think about integrating the functionality of both into something else.  Wink

"And the sign said, 'Long haired freaky people, need not apply.'" Fatboy Slim - Don't Fear the Man
My Steam Profile
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »

A good way is to encourage people on the writing site to request more reviews from the forum goers here in a thread or board.  I have refrained from writing a review sometimes because I don't know if the author would want a review that has few positive (ie do not want to crush people's self-esteem unless they ask for it).  Maybe a reworking of the editor/writer/reader boards and what they are for could work.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'd write more reviews if I could be sure the story poster really wanted the feedback. There's nothing worse than a story that disappears right after you critiqued it.

I tend to rely on the story notes or the user profile to decide if I should write a review, but it would be much better if they requested it on the forum. I know, I know, this suggestion falls under coding mods - but perhaps there could be a "request a critique" link which is visible to the poster of the story, and auto-generates a post in a forum here.

I think the suggestion about a "latest threads" box on the writing site is a good one - it shows activity and might get more users onto the forums. Also, how about a link from this forum to the writing site, maybe next to the "Home" and Help" links? 1) it would be handy for me (I'm lazy and don't like finding things in my favourites) 2) The lack of a link contributes to the disconnected feel of the forum and the writing site.
zeekgenateer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

Well you could link the latest threads by reading an RSS feed (usually an xml file) if the forum had one (don't see links to anything).  The link should be a relatively simple edit of the theme template for the forum.  There should be a guide available for doing that one.  For the first, I'm not sure.

Also it might be a good idea to update the forum software.  The board is running 1.1.11 and current version is 1.1.13.  Looking at the changelog I don't see any changes to captcha though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:47:25 AM by zeekgenateer » Logged

My Steam Profile
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'd write more reviews if I could be sure the story poster really wanted the feedback. There's nothing worse than a story that disappears right after you critiqued it.

I tend to rely on the story notes or the user profile to decide if I should write a review, but it would be much better if they requested it on the forum.

I remember how I feared posting my first story. It was the same fear that I felt posting my first review. On other sites, I've been told to "f*#! off." That has never happened to to me here. One of the big complaints I've heard is that people aren't getting reviews as they expected. I assume that if someone posts a story, they want a review.

This is more typical: "Your previous line-by-line review of my story gave me such good advice. I really wanted to tell you how much I appreciate it. Seriously, I feel I'm a better writer because of you. Thank you!

I just realized that I never got around to showing you what I did with it. So here: (edited)

And to show you how much I've progressed (as well as to thank you for your help), I've included a copy of my submission to FANG Vol 4, if you want to read it. Warning, it's rather gay, and Chapter 4 is rather adult. But you might enjoy it anyway, I dunno: (Edited)"

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:05:15 AM by Quinn Yellowfox » Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »

^ What Korygon said. I think "rewriting the site from scratch" is over-thinking the problem. Honestly what does the review site do that another forum board couldn't? (I'm asking that in earnest, not rhetorically - the features I've used on the review side of the site personally don't seem to warrant separate software.)

The story archive is not merely a reviewing site. It is in fact an archive, intended as a place where works can be posted for sharing with anyone who wants to read them. The review feature comes with it, but is not used very much. The story archive is also equipped to handle longer works, broken into sections or chapters and linked in sequence, as well as series of related stories that can be grouped together even if they are written by multiple authors.

The forum has length limitations that would not allow it to take the place of the archive. Both sections are needed for that reason.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »

^ This.

Combining the forum and the archive into one just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Turning the story site into a forum would be terrible for organization and trying to mix a forum into the story site would end up being complicated (See SoFurry).

I dunno if anyone else has brought this up, but what about linking the Furrag.com accounts to forum accounts? So, when you create a username on Furrag, that username and password can also be used to log into the forums. Having that link there and visible might draw people to the forums and vice versa? I could be wrong.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »

Actually linking the two so registration happens automatically would be a significant coding task that might well create additional security issues and would possibly break any time either part was upgraded.

However, we could probably do something with the instructions while registering on FurRag to encourage writers to also register on the forum. Usually, this is not the problem. They do that anyway. I'm not sure I want to encourage anyone who registers on the forum first to automatically register on FurRag itself, given the number of junk/spam registrations the forum gets. So far the bots haven't attacked the story archive.

-
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »

Shhh, don't give them ideas, 'Tivo. *glances around furtively*

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »

Ah, good point on both sides.

-Pulls out his shotgun labeled 'For bots'-

<_<
>_>
zeekgenateer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 02:03:16 AM »

There does seem to be a lot of false (bot) registrations.  Have you ever thought about removing captcha in favor of custom questions? (ie how many letters in apple? write three numerically.)  Bots usually have a harder time of dealing with those.

My Steam Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: