FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:55:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The idea mill  (Read 7855 times)
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 02:12:04 AM »

Various fixes have been proposed, but I'm reluctant to play with the code for fear of being unable to get it back where I it was before I messed with it. There have been difficult problems like that before.

Calling the available information on the forum "documentation" is a stretch, in my opinion. The story archive is even worse.

Oddly enough, more than half the bot registrations, though they get past the captcha, never validate and therefore are useless to the perpetrators. They have to validate in order to stuff junk links into their profile, which is all most of them do who actually complete validation. Actual posting of spam to the forum is quite rare, by comparison, and happens no more than once a month, usually less often than that.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:16 AM »

I do like the anthology idea, it would allow us at the very least, to give ourselves a pat on the back (Heaven knows how few pats on the back writers get in this fandom).

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Korygon

Need editing done? I'm your otter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 05:04:17 AM »

I'm still going with the 'create a subforum so people can ask for critique on their stories' idea.

I run my own little editing company.  Check me out!

"Hi, I have a quote in my signature."
~Smart people
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

I'm still going with the 'create a subforum so people can ask for critique on their stories' idea.
There already is, we (read: I) just need to get it in a presentable and working condition so it doesn't turn into a carbon copy of the inactive FWG and FA critique subforums.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Korygon

Need editing done? I'm your otter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »

There already is, we (read: I) just need to get it in a presentable and working condition so it doesn't turn into a carbon copy of the inactive FWG and FA critique subforums.

Ah.  I feel like long as people are willing to post stories and other are willing to read them, then it should hopefully get used, but that's just a pipe dream, it seems.

I run my own little editing company.  Check me out!

"Hi, I have a quote in my signature."
~Smart people
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

This might've already been mentioned, but I remember glancing through the 'review' section of the FA forums. Everyone posts, nobody reviews. XP
iain
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »

There does seem to be a lot of false (bot) registrations.  Have you ever thought about removing captcha in favor of custom questions? (ie how many letters in apple? write three numerically.)  Bots usually have a harder time of dealing with those.
Using both measures in tandem at the point of registration worked wonders when I ran vbulletin sites.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

It turns out that a lot of the "bot" registrations now just stop at the captcha or question and wait for the human operator to answer it. That's why so many get through.

Our present methods are working pretty well. I still have to kick off one or two junk accounts a day, but it's nothing like what it was two months ago.

The thing that puzzles me is the overall behavior. They really aren't, for the most part, interested in posting actual spam messages to the forum. Only one in a hundred or more will try that. Most just create junk profiles with URLs in them. The URLs point to scam web sites trying to sell illegal drugs or other such trash.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
iain
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

It turns out that a lot of the "bot" registrations now just stop at the captcha or question and wait for the human operator to answer it. That's why so many get through.

Our present methods are working pretty well. I still have to kick off one or two junk accounts a day, but it's nothing like what it was two months ago.

The thing that puzzles me is the overall behavior. They really aren't, for the most part, interested in posting actual spam messages to the forum. Only one in a hundred or more will try that. Most just create junk profiles with URLs in them. The URLs point to scam web sites trying to sell illegal drugs or other such trash.
That's a sign that the reg. botnet is run by idiots. If it's working well, leave it be, I'd say. I had a virtual server and defense against botnets went on at the shell level as well as forum-registration; they'd assault via ssh constantly, for weeks on end, consuming massive bandwidth. They were all run from the same network, so I got together with a friend of mine and we blacklisted the entire thing. Culled the problem cleanly on both fronts. Shell-side is so much easier to secure, though.
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »

Our phony registrations come from all over the world, so simple blacklisting won't help. There was a time when most of this junk came from Russia, and before that it was Korea, but now I see IP addresses in every country in the world. Most are probably home computers that have been taken over by spyware junk. They may be controlled from a central location, but the actual connections are from anywhere at all.

-
iain
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »

Our phony registrations come from all over the world, so simple blacklisting won't help. There was a time when most of this junk came from Russia, and before that it was Korea, but now I see IP addresses in every country in the world. Most are probably home computers that have been taken over by spyware junk. They may be controlled from a central location, but the actual connections are from anywhere at all.
There's likely a pattern to it, but that does create unintended problems in so much as blacklisting is concerned; don't want to banish potential registrations from real people in the process. I'm mostly just a shell guy. Locking down system access? That's my cup of tea. Getting web apps to work? Weeks of batty madness. I'm awesome with graphics, though!  Grin
Altivo
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »

And now you have a face. Nice picture.  Wink

-
iain
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »

And now you have a face. Nice picture.  Wink
Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:51:31 PM by iain » Logged
merika

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

Banners?  I ended up here because someone had a sofurry banner in their links page from a webcomic.  I found FurRag because someone mentioned it in an author's note. Being able to link it in a catchy, visual manner might increase traffic? 

Oh, and please take a moment to look over part or all of my submissions here, I'd really like feedback!
Thanks!
Nights Angel

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »

Um. Hello. I've notice the read review matter. And to some degree I can understand how some would be fearful of reviewing another furs works. Simply because it will open the flood gates of their own work. I'm of the matter judge not less you be judged. but all the same if i didn't want to hear what other furs thought of my work I would not have started to post them. Thank you for you're time.

Think what you want. I might have a better idea
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: