FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 02:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this seem too un-flowy to you?  (Read 3685 times)
Alflor

Hey look, it's an otter! Yay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 02:24:22 AM »

Oh, and I don't just read fast, I do everything fast. I write several thousand words each day, eat huge meals in less time than it takes my friends to sit down, walk so fast that I have to stop every few minutes and wait for whoever is walking with me to catch up... I just function faster than most. I'm like an over-amped Energizer bunny. Drinking several dozen cups of tea throughout the course of the day might have something to do with it.

"The only people who write bad fiction are writers."
-Alex Vance

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkgard

alflor.com <-- You should go there. You should go there now.
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:03 AM »

Wow, I feel like such an underachiever. I didn't take a single honors class in school, though I spent my junior and senior years at the local community college. Graduated with a diploma and an Associate's at the same time. -Thumbs up-
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »

Reiter, 1) It is hard with all I have going on to find the time to do so. 2) I already do. I bought a 386 page book during a class trip to Barnes & Noble today. I'd finished it before 5pm. The class ended at 10:25am. Foxeris' "A Fox in the Works" I could probably read in a day. That one is over 1200 pages. Needless to say, I read the living hell out of things.
If you read, as you say, the living hell out of things, then you shouldn't be having problems formulating dialogue. Not creating dialogue (that's as hard for you as for the next guy). Formulating it, interweaving it with your narrative.

I'm going to cop out just this once and link to foozzzball's thoughts on the matter, because he explains the whole reading/writing business much more eloquently than I can hope to right now.

Speed helps when you're reading, but it isn't everything. And it certainly isn't the *only* thing.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »

Yes, because remember, being "fast" is not always wanted, sometimes a slow, long draw out affair leaves the person feeling refreshed and sated.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »

I was going more for "make sure you absorb what you are reading", but close enough.

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: