FurRag forums
June 26, 2017, 01:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Private comments?  (Read 1649 times)
Sasya

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »

Is there any way to make private comments on someone's work, or send them personal notes?  I've noticed that much of the content here is rife with small grammatical errors, some of which grossly detract from an otherwise lovely work... but the last thing I want to do is leave a note for all to see in which I blather on about grammatical pedantry.

~Foxy

<3 <3 <3
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »

You can send a private message on the forum here, but there is no way to leave private comments on the story archive. Two things to keep in mind, though.

1) Many of the stories in the archive have been there for a number of years and the authors are no longer active on the system. Some authors never created a forum account, in fact.

2) Even if the author has a forum account, they may not have checked back here for their mail in a very long time. You can find from their profile what the date of their last check in was.

On the whole, unless an author has asked for copy editing I don't bother with reporting grammar or spelling errors.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Sasya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:21 AM »

You can send a private message on the forum here, but there is no way to leave private comments on the story archive. Two things to keep in mind, though.

1) Many of the stories in the archive have been there for a number of years and the authors are no longer active on the system. Some authors never created a forum account, in fact.

2) Even if the author has a forum account, they may not have checked back here for their mail in a very long time. You can find from their profile what the date of their last check in was.

*Nod*  I had that in mind when I asked.. unfortunate about the inability to leave private comments.

On the whole, unless an author has asked for copy editing I don't bother with reporting grammar or spelling errors.

That's a fair point, but I hate trying to 'read through' poor, imprecise, poorly-phrased prose to get to the beautiful story beneath, when the former is just a result of a few little 'bugs' that probably haven't ever been mentioned to the writer.

Actually, taking sofurry for example, for every two dozen derivative first person/locker room/detective story/teen angst/office-tween angst stories one finds with fair-to-decent grammar, there's at least one real gem of an idea... a story beautifully conceived... and often so poorly presented as to be completely overlooked or discarded.  It almost seems like the combination of idea and presentation is incredibly rare.  Around here, from what I've seen, the overall content is a bit better, and a bit less nominally derivative ... and the grammar is significantly better, but still often rough enough to obscure the conceptus.  The only reason I'd want to offer critique on such things would be to help the author polish away the haze and better present the work-- as I'd hope people would do for me.

~Foxy

<3 <3 <3
Reiter

is a writer, dammit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:41:27 AM »

Hey Sasya, welcome to the Rag! Always glad to see a new guy with a critical eye. ^_^

Regarding polishing up stories: Tivo's right in that the archives are, regrettably, not coded to allow for private comments or critiques. Which is a shame, really - one would expect a story archive to let users post both reader- and writer-directed reviews, but, well. Things don't always work out the way we intend them to.

I'm putting together a dedicated critiquing venue with a few other writers here, though, so you could channel your energies there when it's up. Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks longer to set up. You sound like a nice guy and a discerning reader. If exchanging feedback is your thing, check out the group!

Nice to see a new face. Enjoy your stay!

Only presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we".
- attr. Mark Twain
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:15 AM »

Actually, you never know unless you try. There are some old members here that still respond to critiques and letters through the contact information in tha main story archive. If you really liked the story, it doesn't hurt to reach out. If you click on the authors bio, there is a link to send an email.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: