FurRag forums
August 23, 2017, 02:07:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you write?  (Read 4974 times)
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:46 AM »

Thought it'd be a good question to spark discussion. ^_^

I suppose I write for a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is just as a vent for my mind, a way to get my crazy thoughts done on paper. At the same time, I also like being able to impact people, to get others to think and feel emotions. I love it when someone reads a lyric sheet or story of mine and comments about how sad, angry, happy, or reminiscent it made them feel. To have that kind of impact on someone, for them to feel the emotions I feel when I write that song or story, is really gratifying. I want to write songs that make people walk away thinking about something, asking themselves questions about what they heard and what I wrote/sang about.

I dunno, there's just so much power behind writing for me. Maybe that's why I like it? X3 But then again, I'd venture to guess that most authors are secretly quite power hungry.
Sasya

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »

I like telling stories. ^.^  And I want people to read them.

... And I want to read them, myself. ^.^

And I just plum enjoy it.

~Foxy

<3 <3 <3
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »

When I read something that strikes a chord with me, often it will just be something that a character has thought or experienced that I identify with. A recent example of this was the first chapter of a book by Haddon. I thought: I can't believe anyone else but me actually thinks about that stuff (and has the guts to write it out).

That's one of the things I find fascinating about reading fiction, and I hope that I can do the same with my own writing. If even one person reads it and enjoys it, I'd consider that a success. Also, I love getting feedback :3
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:34:46 AM by Jacky » Logged
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:44:48 PM »

I think one of the main reasons I write fiction is that hardly anyone seems to write the sort of things I like to read. Some come close or hit it occasionally, but for the most part it's a wasteland out there. I write first and foremost to please myself. If it interests others, so much the better.

As Alex pointed out to me a few months ago, I'm an "amateur" in the original sense of the word: "lover." I write for the love of it, and often no one ever sees what I've written. I'm a qualified and experienced "professional" writer too, but I mostly abandoned that career years ago. I actually have awards for technical documents and a long list of real publications. That was done for income. The writing I do now is for love.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »

It is pretty much a compulsion. The urge to write, to create and play with characters is deeply rooted in me. I stopped writing once and I actually got massively depressed over it. Writing is my vent, it is something I am good at and proud of. Hell, it is one of the few things I am proud of.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
iain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

I write because I have an incurable fascination with everything around me. Writing helps me understand the world, and myself, like nothing else can. If someone likes what I've written, that's great, but it's never been why I do it. Strangely, I write for the same reason I plant milkweed in my yard; the caterpillars eat away and destroy the plants I've divided and cloned and carefully arranged in my garden, but those same caterpillars turn into butterflies. That makes it all worthwhile.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:19:32 AM by iain » Logged

“A writer looking for subjects inquires not after what he loves best, but after what he alone loves at all.” ~Annie Dillard
Don Karnage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

I write because there is a part of me that need to get out. I like to imagine a stories ans new species that are alien and yet familiar.
poisonpen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »

I write fiction to live vicariously through the characters in the various worlds I have created in my head and to share them with anyone else who may also enjoy them.  I also find living vicariously through these characters to be very therapeutic and cathartic.
Nights Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:38:23 PM »

Why do I write? The answer is not that easy to put intro words. I write because they ask me to. They asked me to tell their stories for them. You may think I'm far gone with what I'm saying. But to put simply. The people in my stories are the ones who tell me what to write. Sometimes I have one telling me about their life or about their friends. Some of them will just sing to me and let me write down the words. I'm a story teller, and if asked I will tell their stories whenever I can. Thank you.

Think what you want. I might have a better idea
poisonpen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:59 AM »

Actually Nights Angel I don't find you far gone with what you are saying at all.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  None of my stories ever go the way I originally planned them, the characters soon hijack them and take them where they want them to go.  I'm just the scribe to chronicle their lives.
Nights Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:15:17 AM »

Ok poisonpen How many of they try to hit on you?

Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »

I think all writers write to chronicle the voices in our heads and I agree that it's best to let them have their own way. I'm pretty much a linear writer (pantser) and find that thinking too much gets in the way.

@Nights Angel, I have had seductive characters that have tried to hit on me in various ways but what's more scary is when one tries to put a hit me (my femme fatale assassin--very good with a knife).

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
poisonpen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »

Night's Angel

Tons of them try to hit on me since I write in first person and most of the main characters are me at some time in my life.  In some of my stories two of the characters are me at different points in my life.  But since I'm in my 50's that gives me lots of times to chose from. 
Lonely Wolf

Alone by choice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

I write because i have excape my reality, my quotes (made by me) are "when life is hard, and you can't speak, write" and "when life hits rock bottom, write a book to relive yourself from reality". I also write because I am bad at writing, and I want to improve.

"I cannot tell my story without going a long way back"
-Hermann Hesse
Nights Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »

I write because i have excape my reality, my quotes (made by me) are "when life is hard, and you can't speak, write" and "when life hits rock bottom, write a book to relive yourself from reality". I also write because I am bad at writing, and I want to improve.
good luck and best wishes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: