FurRag forums
August 23, 2017, 12:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the hell is NaNoWriMo?  (Read 2684 times)
Osfer
Administrator

Uncrowned King of FurRag and Bad Dog Books.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:27:51 PM »

The National Novel Writing Month is an annual, global event that takes place in November. The goal is to write one novel in one month.

The rules:
  • The story must be at least 50 000 words (also known as 50k or fiftyk)
  • You start writing on November 1, and must reach 50k by November 30
  • Only words that you write during November can be counted
  • Any other rules are flexible

It doesn't have to be a novel. That's just what most people do. You can do an anthology of short stories, or a series of nonfiction essays; you can even continue writing an old project you had lying around -- as long as you only count the words you wrote between November 1 and November 30.

There's no prize for the winners, no judges. If you lie about your word count, nobody will ever know or check.

The point of NaNoWriMo isn't to win, it's to do. Last year, some fifty thousand writers around the world tried their paws at NaNo, spurring each other on, helping each other out when they were stuck.

And that's the beauty of the event. Writing is usually such a solitary task, requiring patience and attentiveness, but during NaNo, writing becomes a community task, and the goal isn't to make your story good or relevant or sellable, the goal is to write, write, write. Even if you don't wind up with a finished novel at the end of the month, you'll likely find that you'd written more than you thought you could, and if you've done it once, you can do it again.

Working at speed, rather than fussing over quality, also gives you a new perspective on writing, giving you the confidence to simply rush on when you get stuck and get the story finished, so that you after it's done you can go back and patch up all the holes and bruises and polish your story to a sparkly shine.

This forum is for everyone who's participating, and everyone who wants to show their support to those who take part. Share your experiences, support each other. Find running mates and plan your writing schedule in advance, seek advice when you get stuck, and most importantly: Keep writing Smiley
Osfer
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »

For reference, the current total word count on FurRag is 2424643 words, or 48.5 complete NaNo manuscripts Smiley
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:40:19 AM »

I seem to recall that two years ago there was a special flag we were able to use to mark NaNo works in progress. Is that still here, or can it be reinstated? It may have been just a series to which they could be added?

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Osfer
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:26:17 AM »

Good call!

I've opened a new collection just for NaNo 2007. Anyone who's participating can go there (http://www.furrag.com/viewseries.php?skin=adobe&seriesid=55), hit 'add to series' and add their own story to it for easy browsing!
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »

Thanks. Now hopefully others will join it so I'm not the only one. Wink

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
WolfeByte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:15:36 AM »

Thanks. Now hopefully others will join it so I'm not the only one. Wink

Well, I'd join, but I can't post my story in it's current mental sludge format  - I'm writing blind - white text on white BG - so I have typos out the waazoo. 
And I'd stop to edit it, but I'm too far behind to spare the spare time. 
Plus, if I go back a re-read too much, I might realize what kind of crap I'm wasting my time on, and give up entirely. 

Though I am impressed I'm over 5000 words and there hasn't even been a hint of sexual innuendo, which is a new record.  Last time I gave it a serious effort, there was inuendo and lust-filled gazing for 10 000 words, and then it degenerated into stroke fiction with a side order of plot.  Tongue

A beast that may have wanted to eat me, like some malicious, villainous creature in an old fairy tale."

NaNoWriMo '05 Winner!  With a story that only a third finished,. at 50k...  Yay.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: