FurRag forums
June 25, 2017, 01:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music, Writing, and Life  (Read 1184 times)
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »

Like milk, cookies, and the grandma that gave them to you! ^_^

I pull a great deal of inspiration for my stories from the music I listen to. Hell, I've written short stories and outlined novels that basically novelize whatever a particular song is about. My most extreme instance of this is my in-progress novel Gecko, Broken. To make the original outline, I took 24 Breaking Benjamin songs, in the same order they appear on the respective albums, and wrote the story to match the contents and emotions of the songs. While the current draft is pretty different from the original, all of the elements are still there. I crank up Breaking Benjamin before working on Gecko, Broken. But in general, I find listening to a particular song or band puts me in the mood for writing certain stories. Before I work on my fantasy novel Phoenix Feather, I listen to Coheed and Cambria or Nightwish, for example.

Now I want to hear your account of the many ways music has inspired you and your writing. =3
k9k

Dog, man's best friend....with benefits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

I myself find that listening to heavy metal is an excellent way to write a fight scene.
Listen to Slipknots wait and bleed and by the song's end, you should be good and angry.

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office."
H. L. Mencken
AurumLutra

The Gold Otter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »

Well, Gecko Broken is no longer in progress or even in much thought. But still, I always wind up listening to one particular song or band whenever I'm trying to get in the mood for writing a particular something. I love listening to progressive rock/metal bands while working on a science fiction or fantasy story, while my alternative/hardcore metal goes well with my darker dramas. I remember writing short little pieces of fiction that follow the 'story' of a song, whether lyrically or musically. Ought to get back into that...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: