FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 11:59:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, hello, nice t'meetcha, hailsa, merry met, greetings and salutations  (Read 1836 times)
merika

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »

I've been reading the stories on Furrag for about a week. I've really enjoyed a number of them!  Some stories are decently crafted, although I don't much care for the subjects. 
I can write anything.  My goal is to write anything well.  I'm hoping to get constructive critiques and suggestions on things I post.  I am particularly weak in dialogue.  I have a tendency for characters to soap box, or monologue.  Even worse is when I have a group of characters, and I suddenly realize only two characters are engaging the reader.  This last problem has to do with the very real fact that I am mostly deaf. . . so I only talk to one or two people at a time. And since I lip read, the person I'm talking to has the vast majority of my attention.

Otherwise I can't hear.

So, help would be appreciated.  I think I've gotten past the Nancy Drew/Tom Swift/Cherry Ames/Hardy Boys dialogue level.

Oh, and I've seen several things listed about making improvements to the site?
I've noticed a couple of things. First, sometimes a search will link to a title, but then there's no story attached to it any longer.  Second, it's hard to follow the topics here on the Forums, particularly things which have deadlines and they are still posted two years later.  Also, and this may be an SMF thing, it lists any post I haven't read as NEW.  Even if the post is from 2007.  Is there a place to establish preferences for that sort of thing?

Thanks a lot for reading!
Merika 
Erkhyan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »

Hi Merika.
The forums have been a bit quiet lately, but if the others are like me, they still check regularly. Don’t hesitate to ask for specific help if needed. We can’t promise we’ll have answers, but we’ll sure try to find some Wink

Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »

Hi Merika,

Thanks for stopping by and taking an active role.

I feel partially responsible for the cricket infestation. Please post more ideas and let us know your thoughts. This was once a fairly thriving community but the ebbs and flows of time takes it's toll.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Nights Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »

I've been reading the stories on Furrag for about a week. I've really enjoyed a number of them!  Some stories are decently crafted, although I don't much care for the subjects. 
I can write anything.  My goal is to write anything well.  I'm hoping to get constructive critiques and suggestions on things I post.  I am particularly weak in dialogue.  I have a tendency for characters to soap box, or monologue.  Even worse is when I have a group of characters, and I suddenly realize only two characters are engaging the reader.  This last problem has to do with the very real fact that I am mostly deaf. . . so I only talk to one or two people at a time. And since I lip read, the person I'm talking to has the vast majority of my attention.

Otherwise I can't hear.

So, help would be appreciated.  I think I've gotten past the Nancy Drew/Tom Swift/Cherry Ames/Hardy Boys dialogue level.

Oh, and I've seen several things listed about making improvements to the site?
I've noticed a couple of things. First, sometimes a search will link to a title, but then there's no story attached to it any longer.  Second, it's hard to follow the topics here on the Forums, particularly things which have deadlines and they are still posted two years later.  Also, and this may be an SMF thing, it lists any post I haven't read as NEW.  Even if the post is from 2007.  Is there a place to establish preferences for that sort of thing?

Thanks a lot for reading!
Merika 
Hello. I'm Night's Angel, fellow writer. Glade to meet you. i understand the hardship of group chatting in a story. yes having a number of people talking is good but as far as numbers go. set it so you have other parties move in and out of chat so everyone gets a say and as far as one or two at a time is fine because that gives the reader a chance to get personal with each person. and on a side note everyone tends to run at the month so you all good.
i hope to read some of your work soon and i hope you have time to read mine as well enjoy. and thank you

Think what you want. I might have a better idea
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: