FurRag forums
June 23, 2017, 12:00:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1615 times)
tundrawolf

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »

Hello,

As much as I have written on an introduction in another forum, I am sort of lost here. I have volunteered for the past decade at a wolf sanctuary. I have learned a great deal about wolves, and especially how to read them, as an enhancement to my relationships with them, and even moreso as a tool of survival. (Ignoring your instincts when you are in a pen with a full blooded wolf can get you killed regardless of what sort of relationship you believe you have with the animal.) I have written a lengthy novel that I enjoyed incorporating the mannerisms and even the personalities of some of the wolves into, translated as lupine anthropomorphs, and their interactions with the main character, a human.

I have had the idea for the novel for some time, but only began to write it not too long ago. It sort of began to flow out of my mind, as I envisioned the scenes and put it down as text, coloring the interactions of the characters as best my imagination could.

It turned into more of a love story than I had ever intended. (Please understand, it is NOT a romance novel. There is no sex in it, which may disappoint. There is some sexuality, though, and I nearly mourn is, as I do not want anyone to translate it onto any sort of real life plain. I added it for spice and realism alone.)

I hope nobody is offended when I say I do not consider myself a furry, though I met a few at the sanctuary. I can empathize with your strong feelings towards animals, as animals have always been my best friends. I enjoy the artwork, though, some of it is absolutely beautiful, and the stories can be entertaining.

I am already 100 pages into the second part of the novel, and have ideas for a third.

Is this an introduction? I don't know. Hi. Smiley
tundrawolf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »

I have a question. My first novel is 165,000 words, about 490 pages formatted "reading" in MS Word. I was not planning on making a sequel, but I am about 200 pages into the sequel now, and have plans for a third and final installment. Would that mean I should post it in the "series"? Or should I just post 3 really long, but related stories?
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »

That's entirely up to you. If you really are thinking of the overall work in terms of "trilogy" or "series" (the latter might have additional followups someday) then I'd make it part of a series. But you don't have to. We have no requirement one way or the other. The series does help your potential readers to see how the works are connected and in what order you intend them to be read, but you can achieve that by saying something about it in the descriptive notes or in the introduction to the book itself.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

Hi Tundrawolf, glad you found your way here! I find wolf pack social behaviour fascinating, despite my knowledge being limited to nature programmes and whatnot, so I look forward to reading how your knowledge of wolves translates into anthros.
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »

Hi TundraWolf,

Welcome to the "Pack."

Almost all good stories have romance in them. It helps make characters more real and reveals parts of their personality that readers can relate to.  (or "...to which readers can relate" for the grammar fiends. :3) I personally prefer stories without graphic sexual scenes. There is no need to apologize for your craft. It's your voice.

Also, don't worry about not identifying yourself as a furry. The definition of "furry" is a broad and oft argued one. You've probably met a lot of furries and didn't even know it.

With respect your question about posting, I personally would be turned off by a 165K post. If you're looking for helpful critique, most problems with the craft can be identified in the first 5-10 pages.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry it's been rather quiet.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: