FurRag forums
August 17, 2017, 11:28:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 1413 times)
ImperialSunlight

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:06 AM »

I'm a writer. I write things... mostly fantasy, often involving furries.

So I joined this forum and now I'm a member.

(These kinds of things are so awkward Undecided)

I hope to refine my style a bit more on this site. My biggest reason for joining is that I'm having a lot of trouble with indecision about whether to make characters anthropomorphic, as it may cause aversion to some people for seemingly minimal purpose other than "I just really like furries". I'm currently conseptualizing my first novel and this is one of the biggest problems I'm facing. 

Anyway... Hi.  XD
Jacky

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »

Hi! Well, some would argue that if you can substitute your characters with humans and lose very little from the story, then you should think twice about making them furries. Personally though, I think that really liking furries is a perfectly good reason to include them. To me at least, it makes a story more appealing, especially if you can engineer a uniqueness to your story as a result of your characters not being human.
Altivo
Administrator

Wandering about distractedly...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »

Welcome! My advice is

1) Write what you want to write. If you only try to write what other people want you to write, it won't be fun and you'll give up in disgust.

2) Decide who your audience is. Younger audiences usually accept furry characters more readily. And by that I mean even teens and twenties. Beyond that age, the furry audience is mostly limited to actual furry readers (like myself.)

3) Look for ways to make your furry characters really need to be furry. For instance, use differences between the various species that become part of the plot and character development: predator and prey, herbivore and carnivore, tree-dweller and burrow-dweller, and so forth.

And always, to be a good writer, read, read, read and read some more. You'll get ideas and learn from others, and that's part of the process.

Feel free to chime in on any discussions here, and to post your own questions as well. We're a friendly group.

-
“Don't be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value.” ― Arthur Miller
Quinn Yellowfox
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:57:41 AM »

Welcome to Furrag.

Do your characters want to be anthro? What do they say? Follow the heart.

The beauty of anthro characters is that you can invoke archetypes and touch on very contraversial topics like prejudice easily without loosing readers to their own preconceptions. It's a beautiful and unique tool. Liking anthro characters also helps :-)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Roald Dahl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: